harpcolumn

Opinion on Harpsicle harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Opinion on Harpsicle harps?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello Harpcolumn community!
    I’m quite seriously considering getting myself a Fullsicle, but before I proceed with making an order I’d like to hear what other harpists think of it? Any of you guys own a Harpsicle harp? What is your general opinion of them?
    I think I came across one one day and it seemed to go out of tune really quickly, which was both annoying and worrying – has this ever happened to you?
    Would you recommend this harpmaker?
    (I’m looking at getting a light, transportable harp to go busking with and things like that)
    Cheers for the help! 🙂

Allison Stevick
    Participant

If you do a forum search for “harpsicle” you’ll find lots of entries. 🙂
    Recently, there’s been talk about them in the “Roosebeck harps” and “Cardboard harp kit quality” threads.
    Good luck, and happy harp-shopping! 🙂

Angela Biggs

I have… actually, I don’t know off the top of my head how many Harpsicles I own! Eight? Two or three are usually out for rent and I have to keep five on hand for workshops. I use them for teaching, rentals, and Christmas caroling in my neighborhood. Recently I played an outdoor funeral in the POURING rain and used my Fullsicle (there was no way my performance harp was leaving my car). I told the family about the rain caveat ahead of time; nobody else there knew the difference and everyone loved it.

I keep one Harpsicle set up on its stand because I use it to give lessons. It holds its tune very well, though I only use it one day a week. After their strings were stretched and soundboards bellied, I’ve found that the several harps I use once every couple of months for workshops hold their tune well during that workshop hour. I go through and rough-tune once, then start over again and fine-tune and they’re good to go — after two months without being touched! If the one you tried was going out of tune, it is a fluke flaw, the harp was never given that initial tune-every-day period, or it went a very, very long time without a tuning.

The Tasty Harps Company is very helpful. My first Harpsicle was one I bought for super-cheap because it had a blown soundboard. Even though I didn’t buy it from the maker, they told me how to fix it, and that was the start of my fleet. Most recently, I bought back a previously sold Harpsicle from a student who was having financial trouble. I didn’t think to look for bent tuning pins initially…. but when I discovered one, THC sent me a couple of replacements no charge. They’re really nice, helpful people.

If you want to busk and your budget is about the size of a Fullsicle, I think it’s a good choice — and get a guitar strap. I always feel really cool playing a harp while walking around. I mean seriously, how many people on this planet are lucky enough to do that? 🙂

karen
    Participant

Do try one first. The tension is VERY light; you might love that, you might not.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

We have found that if we play closer to the soundboard the tension doesn’t feel as light. It does change the tone though.

Biagio
    Participant

As many have said, the tension is light but I only find it really objectionable in the last half octave with the stock strings. Rees offers a string set with wound strings down there to address that complaint; they are a great improvement.

Biagio

czenzilee

I bought a Flatsicle as my first harp. I know I’m new so I haven’t got as much basis of comparison to other harps on other points. But, since it is a concern of yours, I can say that mine keeps tuning incredibly well.

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

About two months ago I played one in a shop. I actually kind of liked it. The owner of the shop said it was a newer version, which was an improvement upon its predecessor. I thought it had a nice enough sound and the tension didn’t seem excessively light to me. I play a Salvi Livia which has, I think, medium-high tension. I love the tension of my Livia but didn’t find the “new” harpsicle objectionable. Hope that helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics