harpcolumn

Travel Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Travel Harp

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

That’s what my grandfather used to do before WWII — a freelance harpist with an old Nth-hand Erard knockoff, who carried it from gig to gig on his back. (With my other grandfather, it was a sewing machine on his back, up and down the mountains of Abruzzo. I don’t want to turn into one of those “back in the day, people knew how to work” types, but OY.)

Biagio
    Participant

I have not had one of these Wickford harps in my hands, but would say that the concept is sound (small pun):

http://wickharps.blogspot.com/

Biagio

balfour-knight
    Participant

Biagio,

The Wickford Hummingbird harps seem to be the ultimate in travel harps! I have not seen one yet, but hope to. Maybe at the SEHW (Asheville, NC) in October?

Emma,

Thanks for that “minstrel” photo! That gives new meaning to “travel harp,” ha, ha!

Have a great day, all of you!
    Balfour

karen
    Participant

I was seeking the same thing. I ordered a Blevins BourrĂ©e. It arrived two weeks ago. It is a brilliant HYRBID 28 string harp that weighs 6.75 lb. and goes down to the F below middle C. It is a hybrid because it has CARBON FIBER on the neck and pillar, and a lovely WOOD soundboard/box–which sounds much nicer than an all carbon fiber harp. Light weight, but full of sound…the perfect solution! It has wire bass strings, fantastic sounding wound strings, and nylon in the upper register. It is small, light, and has an amazing sound. I took it to my HarpCircle last weekend, and my friends could not believe the sound coming out of it. Cindy and Dwight Blevins could not have been nicer to work with.

karen
    Participant

I should mention that I am 5’3″, and pick it up with one finger, and it fits my body perfectly. Great with a guitar strap to walk around the yard playing. If you go to their website, it looks larger than it is because of the way that it is shown on a ‘stand’. They should have a pic of someone playing it so you get a better size perspective.

http://www.blevinsharps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=282_338

karen
    Participant

Update on traveling with my Blevins BourrĂ©e. I have tried every way possible to find a flight case for it. Because of the lovely 37″ point that it comes to (which allows its’ fabulous base wire strings, allows it to have 28 strings), it is really off-sized for travel. A flight case that will fit it, and keep it safe is going to have 72 linear inches (height, depth, width). The airlines allow 62 linear inches before charging “oversize” which can be as much as $150 each way. The new musical instrument airline regulations do not keep the airline from being able to charge you the oversize charge, so it is a bit of a “crap shoot” each time to fly whether or not the staff member at the airline counter will notice (highly unlikely that they would not). That said, I love my BourrĂ©e, but am disappointed that at 6.75 lb, I will not be traveling with it as I had hoped. It is a pricey harp, so I was hoping it would cover my needs outside of my 50lb Pratt Chamber harp, but I find myself searching for a suitcase harp between now and NorthernLights Harp Festival in October.

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Karen,

Many people like the Triplett Zephyr, which has a reasonably priced case as well: http://triplettharps.com/zephyr-22-string.php

Another possibility, and my personal choice, would be the Harps of Lorien Sasha. As a kit it is only about $750, $1200 if finished and with C & F levers plus case.

Biagio

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Karen,

I would suggest either the Harps of Lorien Sasha (which would be my personal choice) or the Triplett Zephyr.

Good Fortune!
    Biagio

karen
    Participant

Thanks Biagio. Since the BourrĂ©e was over $3k, I am thinking even more simple that that. A harp simply for when I go to workshops, and don’t want to rent one.
    These look perfect (they were around $300), but from some reason, Don Peddle stopped making harps. I know a harpsicle could work too for travel, but I am not that drawn to them.
    Check this out:

In the 1970’s, I taught “Beginning Harp Classes” for 16 years as part of night school offerings, to the public. For this I needed small lap harps for people to rent which needed to be affordable for the 8-week class, 7-9 PM , held in various high school music rooms, or in community centers. Since Mildred Dilling had purchased a quantity of these from the engineer-maker (now deceased) Earl Linrud Thompson, I did this also and received a discount for the 40 22-string instruments that I eventually acquired, buying 4 at a time as my class increased. The string spacing is the same as most pedal harps, though of course the tension is less. All but one eventually sold and the one that I kept is so useful I intend to keep it. It fits in a suitcase and weighs 4 pounds. No levers. You could advertise that you are seeking a “Linrud Minstrel Harp” since there must be many used ones out there.This model is fiberglass (gold Ford auto paint) except for the front column and harmonic curve, which are maple. It has led some students into wanting a larger harp of their own, once they have experienced a few beginning lessons on this small one. The lowest of the 22 strings is the C below “middle C”, so the left hand has enough to do. If this size does not seem to be available, try to ask a harpmaker who is familiar with fiberglass to construct one for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi There,

I’m intersted in the Bardic 27 (with the legs) I have a Concert Melusine, but I need a harp to take with me, to rehearse or jam with friends. I heard the Bardic sound and it’s wonderful, and the price is right. About 2,000.

Speaking of Minstrel. I have my first harp, which was minstrel lever harp. My teacher wants to take it off my hands, to use for her younger students.

My goal with the Bardic is to allow me to transport it into my car and back. And to give me the opportunity to take it anywhere. Even the park. My Melusine is for performance opportunities. It’s what I totally need. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies