barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,336 through 1,350 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Some pieces you’ll just never get right #164353
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    As my teacher, Eileen Malone, used to say, some pieces just have to “marinate” a while. If you leave it alone for a few months, you’ll probably find you have no trouble with it anymore when you go back to it.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109960
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also, to log in under two identities at once, you just use two different browsers, like Safari and Firefox, or IE and Firefox, since the site cookies are stored in the browser.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109959
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I mean, I’ve never tried it here. At other sites, like the Apple website, I have one identity for stuff I’m supposed to be a so-called “expert” about, and another for stupid questions I don’t want people to know I had to ask. 🙂

    However, I’m not aware of anything in the program they are using here that would be any different from most forum sites (except for the encoding that makes the question marks all over the place, of course).

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109958
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >’m not sure you can have two different names from the same house for the harp column

    I’ve never tried it, but most forums will let you have as many identities as you have mail accounts, at least.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111181
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >What about the wonderful “David Copperfield” by BBC? Rosa Dartle plays the harp for Steerforth.

    >Seemed to me she was actually playing

    If you mean the version that starred Daniel Radcliffe as little David and Maggie Smith as Betsy Trotwood, you made me curious so I went and watched it. The actress (can’t remember who she is, but fairly well known BBC actress) obviously spent a lot of time working on the playing bits and she was very well coached, but there are several places where the left hand comes unsynchronized from the soundtrack. and while she’s always playing something in the right place in the right hand (really good for an actress) the patterns are not always the same as the notes that are heard. For instance she plays a scale with the notes coming exactly on the right beats, but what is heard is a broken arpeggio pattern.

    Still, it’s about the best fake harp playing I’ve seen, and I doff my chapeau to the work it must have taken.

    in reply to: Harp Therapy Programs #164309
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    BTW, their description is wrong. The cover plainly states “Harpe Celtique.”

    in reply to: Harp Therapy Programs #164308
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It’s Challan, not Challon. The piece is part of a suite, I think, and it’s in the Challan Collection.

    Here’s the harp connection link, since that was the one you listed first:

    http://www.harpconnection.com/store/product.php?query=challan&sku=400-102-234&itemRedir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harpconnection.com%2Fstore%2Fsearch.php%3Fquery%3Dchallan

    in reply to: Seeking “The Little Fountain #164388
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I meant Lyra has just “The Little Fountain” as a solo.

    in reply to: Seeking “The Little Fountain #164387
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, you can get it from Lyra for $10, or you can get the whole book from any of the other dealers for $12.

    in reply to: Basic glissando question #87544
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    That wasn’t very clear. Sherry, I mean you need to learn to do it both ways. At the end of a piece, you may want to land on that last note, but other times you may want a less definite sounding ending.

    The way you are doing now is a good way to start, then once you can do that without looking, go for the pluck.

    in reply to: Basic glissando question #87543
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I mean Sherry’s way. Sometimes you want a definite final and sometimes you don’t.

    in reply to: Basic glissando question #87542
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hmm, I’ve played glisses that way for an awful lot of years, Calista.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111175
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hmm, sounds like they realized the book needed plenty of fixing up for the film.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111173
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should add that in the book the harp appears only in the first and last chapters. The rest of the book is kind of like being stuck in a particularly grimy Andy Capp panel.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111172
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It is about an angel who pawns her harp to bet on the dog races.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,336 through 1,350 (of 1,501 total)