barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • barbara-brundage
    Participant

    She doesn’t list volume 7, but International Music (lyramusic.com) lists 8 and 9 in their catalog. If you contact them, ask about 7. They may have a leftover copy somewhere.

    in reply to: Looking for Flute & Harp Christmas (or Advent) Arrangements #61305
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Those are some of the Brocks’ arrangements, Melissa.

    I might add that anyone who wants to hear them all should look for the earlier CD (also called Comfort and Joy) that Becky and Ernie did. You can get it from amazon.

    in reply to: Lotus led music stand light #68115
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Hugh.

    in reply to: Lotus led music stand light #68113
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Sorry, edit seems to be broken at the moment.

    >you can change the batteries or run it with electricity

    I mean that on a gig if it starts to get dim, you aren’t stuck the way you are with the lotus light. You can change the batteries or plug it in, if there’s an outlet handy.

    in reply to: Lotus led music stand light #68112
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I have it, but frankly I prefer the mighty bright orchestral light. It’s half the price, puts out more light, and you can change the batteries or run it with electricity. It also has two light levels. However, my lotus light is the older version, so possibly they’re better now. There’s also an LED klip lite, which is less expensive than either, but not quite as bright and doesn’t last as long. I do like the fact that the lotus light will go in my anderson stand bag.

    in reply to: Bochsa’s tuning method #60055
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    That’s pretty much the standard method of tuning from back in the days when you had a tuning fork for A440 or for the C and you did the rest of the harp by ear–tune the first note to the fork, then go by fifths and octaves for the first (middle) octave, then do the rest of the harp in octaves. You’ll also find a simpler diagram in the back of Fun from the First.

    However, you should be able to get a pretty decent tuner for $25 or less these days. It’s worth spending another ten or fifteen dollars for a pick up wire to use with it.

    in reply to: Harp Notation in Finale? #61299
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should have mentioned, maybe, that the only thing in harp notation that you can do with the latest version that you can’t do with what you have is easy wavy lines for glissandos (you can do them, but it’s fiddly and you don’t have as many options).

    in reply to: Harp Notation in Finale? #61298
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You can do it easily with what you have. Use articulations–the diamond is the violin harmonic symbol, enlarged. Then you would need to create articulations for a ledger line, a natural, a flat and a sharp. If you learn to use articulation metatools it goes very fast to put them in, but wait till your layout is totally finalized, since they will migrate around a bit if you resize the page or move systems around. I use the measure tool’s beat chart to slide beats when I need to make space for a lever change among the notes.

    Pedal markings are in the EngraverTextH font. H is for harp and you’ll find several useful harp symbols in there. If you download the font pack from the finale website you’ll get this.

    Sorry I can’t be more specific as to exactly how to everything step by step, but it’s been a very long time since I used F2K.

    in reply to: Recording your Harp #68048
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There are a number of recording programs for ipod of varying degrees of complexity. For the absolute most basic recording, you can get the earbuds with mic and just hang them over the desk of your music stand (you’ll have to play around a bit to find the best spot), while using one of the free recording apps, like italk recorder. Obviously this isn’t going to create a commercially viable recording quality, but it’s fine for practice use.

    EDIT I should say that I have no experience with the new earpods w/mic, but I would expect them to work at least as well as the old earbuds with mic:

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

    in reply to: music stand, benches and dollies #68062
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I live in steamy FL and most of my playing is outside, especially in the summer. (Go figure.) Anyway, my Anderson stand is just as good as it was the day I got it, and it holds a lot. I did have a problem once, which was my own fault, with cross threading the leg part and then helpful folks at the gig turned it the wrong way so it was so stuck I couldn’t do anything with it. I called Anderson and they had me send it to them and fixed it for free, even though the thing was ten years old at that point. It holds as much as the regular wooden stands from L&H, Salvi, etc.

    in reply to: Recording your Harp #68040
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There are many usb mics that would work. I like the Blue Yeti, but you don’t have to spend that much. For recording, there are many decent freeware programs, like audacity. If you have a smartphone or ipad, you can use those, too. They all have apps for recording and you just use the mic from your earbuds. It’s not going to be a commercially viable recording, but it’s fine for practice use. If you have an ipod touch, that also works if you invest in the earbuds with mic.

    EDIT If you have a mac, you have garageband and you can use that, although something like audacity (which is available for both mac and pc) may be simpler.

    in reply to: question for owners of the Dusty Strings 36 harp #68014
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You know, Jerusha, I would get in touch with harp couture. They were going to exhibit at Southeastern harps last weekend and I would bet a lot of people didn’t go because of Sandy, so possibly they might have something they made up for there that didn’t sell.

    in reply to: question for owners of the Dusty Strings 36 harp #68009
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    No, sorry, I don’t. I don’t think any of their harps are proportioned closely enough to a dusty, but maybe someone else will know of something.

    in reply to: question for owners of the Dusty Strings 36 harp #68007
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Jerusha. Two places that can do this for you are the harpcouture folks on seraphimmusic.com or enchantedharp.com.

    in reply to: Shipping my harp overseas – help #102155
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If you aren’t in an area where you can get a shipping carton from one of the major harpmakers, the best thing would be to take it to a place that packs furniture and antiques for shipping. They should be able to foam and crate it for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,501 total)