Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI had visions of being able to work directly on the touch screen with the tablet pen, as if drawing on paper, and that on a small device
No, at this point a Cintiq is still pretty much the only thing for that. They do have the new 12Wx that’s much smaller than the old style ones and suitable for holding on your lap, or the 24HD touch for touch input, but there’s nothing in iOS or android that will do what you want.
EDIT You can draw on an ipad, if you mean freehand drawing or painting–even David Hockney does that, but it’s not the same as painting with a wacom and PS or Painter.
Want me to friend you?
Sure, or you can just email me at the address in my profile. Either one.Janet, I hope there was something worthwhile for you amongst the sort of OT stuff.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOops, sorry, forgot. Retina display: the last couple of versions of the full-sized ipad have the retina display, which basically has about double the resolution of the early versions. The pixel density is so high that you supposedly can’t even detect the individual pixels. Here’s a page from apple’s site where you can compare the retina vs non-retina display:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/
If you just want an ipad for music, it’s not a biggy, but it does look nicer, although the old display was pretty nice to begin with.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantSo far I would say that for serious image editing work they aren’t your first choice. For one thing there’s not really any way to calibrate the screen. There’s one app that does a kind of calibration simulation, but the security sandboxing of apps means that no other app can see the result, which makes it pretty useless.
What they are great for is quick edits in the field–if you take a photo and need to get it out right away for use on a web page, for example, but I wouldn’t use an ipad for anything I was going to send to print production.
At the moment I don’t think apple seems to have many plans to make a more desktop-like ipad. I think that four or five years from now, for Joe and Jane Average, a tablet will be their only computer (for a lot of folks it’s all they need right now today, and it’s a lot more fun than a full-scale computer), while the pro market will still use desktops for certain things, but fewer things than now.
I do think the fate of photoshop and ID and Quark and Office and most desktop computer programs isn’t very bright, though, since a lot of their former customers are being siphoned off. For a great many people, for example, Pages for ipad with one of the extra template collections is capable of generating beautiful reports and resumes and such–no need for a monster like Word or a DTP program like ID or Quark anymore. I write books about Photoshop Elements and I freely admit that if you’re using your iPhone for photography, it’s a heck of a lot quicker to use something like instagram to edit and send your photo to facebook or wherever than to hassle around sending the photo to your computer, then trying to duplicate those filters in PS or PSE (or Paint Shop Pro or Pixelmator or any of the other computer programs) before uploading it. For lunch photographers, it’s plenty.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantHi, Sherri. The ipad doesn’t really interface with a computer for that sort of thing as easily as a wacom does. It’s more of a standalone device, although there is software that will let you use it as a kind of auxiliary monitor. But it’s pretty slow for that, and of course it’s not really pressure sensitive. It feels a touch, but a hard touch or a soft one makes no difference. There are starting be some fancy styluses to work around that but they don’t perform like pressure sensitivity on a wacom, at least not yet.
For recording, I would say that if you don’t need a higher storage capacity, the ipad 2 is a good deal, but that assumes you’d be transferring your recordings elsewhere fairly often since it doesn’t hold that much. (EDIT I mean the version apple still sells new. You might find a used one on ebay with a higher capacity.)
For graphics, the retina display does make quite a difference, so you’d probably want the latest one. The capacity you need depends on how you want to use it. I don’t personally do a lot of photo editing on the ipad–it’s not great for working with camera raw files and I mostly shoot raw, so I’m fine with a 32GB model, but YMMV. I don’t need to have all my audio files and movies with me all the time. If you want to do that, you’d want more space. Sheet music and ebooks don’t take up much space at all.
It’s mighty handy to have a data plan so you can get online whenever you want, but that’s a fair amount expense each month, so I don’t bother. There’s usually someplace with wifi around when I’m out and about, and the only time I miss it is when I want to look something up when I’m in the car. However, if you plan to use the ipad to take credit cards at gigs, I’d consider a data plan. It’s not secure to connect over an open wifi network for anything to do with money. I used to have a mifi, which was a nice alternative. Truconnect has one with no contract that’s quite inexpensive if you don’t use it much. If you plan to use it a lot, you’re better off with a contracted plan, though, since the per MB price is high on the Truconnect.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAs for your question about photoshop, I believe Adobo has made a version for ipad
Well, sort of. Adobe has a couple of apps like photoshop touch and photoshop express, but they have plenty of competition in the tablet market. Snapseed, Photogene, and even iphoto for ipad (which has much nicer editing tools than iphoto for mac) are more popular.
Adobe did have an app called adobe Nav that lets you work in photoshop on your computer using your ipad as a controller, but it was pretty limited (only some of the tools and not really finger painting the way you can paint on image corrections to a specfic area in iphoto/ipad, for example) and I think they’ve pretty much stopped development for it. The reviews will tell you why:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-nav-for-photoshop/id426614130?mt=8
There’s a difference between the whole paradigm of how you work on a desktop and in iOS, though. In iOS, instead of one giant expensive app that does everything, most people have a bunch of little cheap ones that only do one or two things, but do them pretty well. There are plenty of apps just for applying certain filters or changing a photo to black and white with just one color, for example.
There are innumerable drawing apps, if that’s what you want.
If you really want a tablet that can run desktop software, that would be the surface pro, which runs windows 8, but so it far doesn’t have the space or the oomph to do much with any graphics program. Possibly down the road it might. Maybe by the surface pro 3 or 4.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantFor practice recording, I think garageband is harder than a lot of the voice recorders, if you aren’t going to be cutting and pasting and otherwise editing. For recording that matters I use DAW from harmonic dog, but GB is also good.
If you just want to do the kind of recording you would have done at home with a cassette recorder, then the most basic setup would be something like the free italk recorder (just one big button) and the built-in mic or the headbuds with mic. Depending on where you’re going with it, you can get a lot fancier–you’ll often see studios using the ipad as the controller for their setups these days. I’d agree with Tony that the Apogee is the best of the options specifically designed for ipad, but there are also a lot of less expensive mics.
February 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm in reply to: A lecture introducing harp to non harpists, more to pianists and the relationship between it and the differences #89746barbara-brundage
ParticipantHere try the permalink and see if that’s any better for you:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/166593
Also, are you having trouble with the linked page or the download itself? The download is available by right-clicking the down arrow and choosing Save Target As or Download Linked File, depending on your operating system.
February 3, 2013 at 11:38 pm in reply to: A lecture introducing harp to non harpists, more to pianists and the relationship between it and the differences #89745barbara-brundage
ParticipantHmm, I wonder why not. It opens okay for me when I click on it. What browser are you using?
February 3, 2013 at 1:49 am in reply to: A lecture introducing harp to non harpists, more to pianists and the relationship between it and the differences #89743barbara-brundage
ParticipantSo glad to hear from you, Mr. S. I hope you’re in a safe place now.
One of the great classics of harp special effects is Carlos Salzedo’s Modern Study of the Harp, which is available on the imslp for download:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Modern_Study_of_the_Harp_(Salzedo,_Carlos)
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt means play with the thumb with the hand flat against the strings.
EDIT I should have been more specific. In modern notation, that’s what it means, but in some 19th century music the fingering always indicates the thumb with a plus sign instead of 1.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThanks for the extra details, Sidney. Yes, your plan makes sense now. You might want to price harpsichord wrenches. I had a harp long ago with zither pins and it came with one of those. Even back then they were a lot cheaper than harp tuning keys, and more ergonomic, too.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWell, you know, Sidney, personally I’d rather have my students using rubber covered tuning keys, for the sake of the harps. Have you considered just buying a bunch of the black ones and numbering them with tape on on the shank?
December 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm in reply to: How do you handle music at events (books/sheet- the written stuff) #62462barbara-brundage
ParticipantHi, Kreig. I’ve seen them, but they don’t work so well for me, since I like being able to keep my ipad in the case when using it on a gig, so I just bring my Anderson folding wooden stand. The ipad stands I’ve seen are all either heavier than that or slightly flimsy, IMHO, for using where people are likely to bump into you.
December 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm in reply to: How do you handle music at events (books/sheet- the written stuff) #62460barbara-brundage
ParticipantPersonally I never much liked using binders, because unless your repertoire is pretty limited you get into the big fat ones and turning pages with those huge rings isn’t the fastest. But these days it’s not an issue because I just bring an ipad instead.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThat is a Lyon & Healy Prince William in the photo, Harpkat.
http://www.lyonhealy.com/special-prince-william-special-instrument.htm
-
AuthorPosts