barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,291 through 1,305 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68892
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Nope, I’m wrong. Just checked. The current GP has discs down to the bottom string but one, and the regular 85P only lacks the bottom 2 string mechanisms now, according to the photos on the the L&H site. Top two strings are still lacking mechanism on both models.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68891
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The 85-E is now called the 85-SG, I guess. Anyway, that’s what that extra thousand bucks buys, for those wondering about the diff between the two models on sale. They’re the same physical dimensions, pretty much, but the extra money buys the F and G at the top of the harp and whole lot more discs.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68890
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    HI, Ro. It’s not really a question of simpler or not good–merely that these little harps are disc-challenged. The bottom 4 or 5 strings (can’t remember offhand) and the top two have no mechanism. This is the same for the daphnes and the 85 series. Last time I saw them, the all the smaller 85 series harps (below the 85-E size) have the same mechanism, so the 44 string just has 4 more disc-free strings. The 85-E has a regular semi-grand mechanism.

    To my mind, this is the biggest flaw in these smaller harps. I believe the smaller Venus harps have a full set of discs, or at least more discs than the L&H and Salvi small harps.

    in reply to: The logic behind pedal order? #87056
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > I find that I usually start on the inside with B/E, then move outward in pairs

    Hi, Vince. FWIW, I was always told you should go the other way because you’re less likely accidentally knock a pedal out of its slot as you pass it when you’re working outside in, whereas if you’re in a hurry it’s more possible for that to happen if you work from the center out.

    in reply to: Alfred Holy’s music? #147934
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    No, Planet Harp has nothing to do with Roman Harp Company. It is run by noted harp therapist Sarajane Williams.

    in reply to: Alfred Holy’s music? #147930
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Victor Roman is terrible about returning email. Keep trying.

    in reply to: Alfred Holy’s music? #147924
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Just be aware that he is not without controversy:

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/blogs/user/Samuel%20Milligan/archive/2006/12/

    in reply to: Alfred Holy’s music? #147921
    barbara-brundage
    Participant
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Why not just ask Ms. Loman which school she thinks would be a better fit for you?

    in reply to: Angry Neighbours #162238
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I find this extraordinary. My neighbors used to sit out in the hall on lawn chairs to listem to my practicing. Are you sure that it’s really “everyone” and not just that this particular individual has some axe to grind with you (or with the world in general)?

    in reply to: Dussek – Sonata in C #164060
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should mention that I don’t know about that particular edition of the sonatinas, but the other editions are pretty doable. Kim Robertson also includes one mvt of one of the sonatinas on her “Moonrise’ recording/book.

    in reply to: Dussek – Sonata in C #164059
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The sonatinas can mostly be played on a lever harp just fine. The Sonata in C requires too much compromise, IMHO, to be really feasible.

    in reply to: Lap Harp Strings #164117
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Especially for small harps, it’s best to ask the manufacturer before changing string types.

    in reply to: harp finish? #164194
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Believe me, Barbara, staining is faster than gilding. You used to pay a premium to L&H for a natural finish over a stained finish, ostensibly because more care had to be used in the selection of the wood.

    in reply to: harp finish? #164192
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I see a lot of harps in natural finish — is there a reason for this?

    Well aside from the fact that a lot of us like it (I can’t abide stains myself), it’s harder to conceal any flaws in the wood with a natural finish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,291 through 1,305 (of 1,501 total)