Lap Harp Strings

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #164116

Does anyone know if the strings for a lap harp have to be ‘monfilament nylon’? I find the red is very dull, which makes it hard to find when playing. I would like to replace the C strings with the same red strings that I have

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #164117

Especially for small harps, it’s best to ask the manufacturer before changing string types.

Participant
    bernhard-schmidt on #164118

Yes I agree with you I found often the bass range of the small harps a little dull and string tension become lighter at that bass range.
    So, a lap harp can have wrapped strings especially at the bass range where the string length become relatively

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #164119

Perhaps another, less potentially damaging, option is to do something to make the strings more visible.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164120

I have used the permanent marker solution. Temporarily that was fine. (I was waiting for a replacement string) But as I practiced the red transferred slightly to the other strings so that the C faded and the others turned a very pale pink.

Someone told me that Sharpie makes a small pen that actually uses paint. That might work better.

Participant
    Tacye on #164121

Different brands of nylon may have different colourings, and you will be able to change brands, keeping the thickness the same, without problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.