harpcolumn

Lap Harp Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Lap Harp Strings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Does anyone know if the strings for a lap harp have to be ‘monfilament nylon’? I find the red is very dull, which makes it hard to find when playing. I would like to replace the C strings with the same red strings that I have

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Especially for small harps, it’s best to ask the manufacturer before changing string types.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Yes I agree with you I found often the bass range of the small harps a little dull and string tension become lighter at that bass range.
    So, a lap harp can have wrapped strings especially at the bass range where the string length become relatively

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Perhaps another, less potentially damaging, option is to do something to make the strings more visible.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have used the permanent marker solution. Temporarily that was fine. (I was waiting for a replacement string) But as I practiced the red transferred slightly to the other strings so that the C faded and the others turned a very pale pink.

Someone told me that Sharpie makes a small pen that actually uses paint. That might work better.

Tacye
    Participant

Different brands of nylon may have different colourings, and you will be able to change brands, keeping the thickness the same, without problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies