harpcolumn

Angry Neighbours

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Angry Neighbours

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    diana-day
    Participant

You could also get a “white noise” machine which produces a sound like rushing air. These work well for masking voices, but I don’t know how well they’d do for harp. An even more effective machine is the sort of electric filter

John McK
    Participant

You could . . .

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I find this extraordinary. My neighbors used to sit out in the hall on lawn chairs to listem to my practicing. Are you sure that it’s really “everyone” and not just that this particular individual has some axe to grind with you (or with the world in general)?

tony-morosco
    Participant

That’s what I was thinking too. Almost always I get compliments from neighbors regarding my practicing. Once I even got an apartment with no references when I happened to mention to the landlord I played the harp. He loved the sound of the harp and thought it would be nice to hear a harp being played in the building.

I bet it is just one person or couple stirring up trouble. I would speak to the landlord and check the local noise ordnance. Regardless if the neighbor gets annoyed, so long as you are not violating the noise ordnances they have no grounds for a complaint.

rod-c
    Participant

Laura:

It just so happens that a harp technician was at my house today. (He used to work for Lyon Healy and now travels around, regulating harps.) I asked him about stuffing towels into the back of the sound board. He said do so wouldn’t hurt the harp…and probably would muffle sound well.

Best,

Rod

YES, Laura. I would definitely want to live somewhere where ogres wouldn’t complain about beautiful harp music. That’s nuts! And if they are complaining about that, they must be just delightful to live with otherwise (NOT).

Check your lease for what is allowed, in terms of noise. If playing musical instruments is allowed between certain hours, it is the neighbors’ problem, and they can move. Beyond putting down a thick mat, cork, rubber, rug, hanging cork or draperies on the walls, you are not obligated to do more. Check the city ordinances and tenant’s rights. You have the right to play, and the landlord agreed to that when you signed the lease, unless you concealed the fact that you play. Tell them you are thinking about taking up the piano. This tenant may also have been lying to harass you, he is the only one bothered. You also might put weatherstripping or a towel at the bottom of your front door to minimize what goes out. If your neighbor continues to bother you, complain to the landlord. I doubt you are playing all day long and all night. Some buildings are poorly constructed, which adds to the problems. Is this a new, old or renovated building? Solid walls or wall board? There is acoustical tiling, but I don’t know what it would cost to install. I don’t think you should do anything to the harp itself.

Tell him you are taking up the drums.

missy lannon
    Participant

what a bummer for you your neighbors are so intolerant!

How did you get rid of them? Is there such a product as RudeNeighbor Away? :-) If not, maybe someone could invent it. Hmm…possibilities for a good ad: “Do your neighbors complain about your beautiful harp music making it hard to hear the commentary on their TV mud wrestling show? Say good-bye to them with RudeNeighbor Away! When they bang on your door, just open it a crack and spray for five seconds with the nozzle set at “Disappear” and Poof! Your troubles are over. Now you can practise in peace.”

carl-swanson
    Participant

Maybe she’s got a cousin Vinnie.

unknown-user
    Participant

Elizabeth,

You and Carl made me laugh!

unknown-user
    Participant

well I contacted my landlord, and yes I had told him that I played harp before I moved. He says I am perfectly within my rights to practice.

Unfortunately, that fact won’t necessarily stop this guy from banging on my door. Tomorrow I am going to buy a matt and some rubber tubing to put around my doors. I will try moving my harp into the bedroom which is more isolated than my living room. I’m going to leave a letter by the mailbox for my neighbours, outlining the steps I am taking to respect their preferences, and informing them that I have already spoken to the landlord, and he told me it was fine to practice.

To answer some other questions that have been asked, my apartment is in a house that was converted to apartments, and it is the top floor.

unknown-user
    Participant

and this afternoon, I’m going to take my lap harp to the park down the street. I’m going through some serious withdrawal.

unknown-user
    Participant

To be honest. I might think if looking for a new digs if possible. I once lived in a high-rise and nobody complained about my piano (had no harp then) and the lady two floors down was a violinist who had been there for years with no complaints. It is a shame some people are so small.

It is one advantage of living in an old house in the sticks. We can only get dial-up internet (ugh) and the house is haunted but better a peaceful ghost than a snippy neighbour I always say. The olny other problem is the puppy might knock the harp over but then he knocks everything over.

With humour

Christine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.