barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166899
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’m not objecting to discussion. I’m objecting and I have objected for a long time (as have many, many other people who just left in disgust) to the puerile tone that accompanies the pointless squabbling these topics always deteriorate into. I”m sorry Carl. I see no “wit’ in “jokes’ (not picking on you specifcially, Kit, it’s typical of many, many posts here) that are nothing but flamebait.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166897
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Can it not be a war of witticisms, instead of insult and injury?

    Why must it be a war at all? Every time this topic comes up here–every time– the pattern is the same. Someone from school A makes snide catty remarks about school B and tries to get away with it with “just kidding HA HA.” Then someone from School B retaliates with a puerile remark about School A.

    I really hoped we had gotten past this for a while after thngs had calmed down here, but I see it’s absolutely hopeless.

    I canoot tell you what an embarrrassment to the harp community at large this site has tended to be by reinforcing all the stupid harpist stereotypes. I see it probably always will be, and that to expect civil adult discussion of differerences in performing philosophy is asking too much here.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166895
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I was most bitterly unhappy to see this topic resurrected, because it was obvious where it would go, and it has.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166894
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    FOR GOD’S SAKE, PEOPLE, KNOCK IT OFF! PLEASE!

    in reply to: Cleaning Harp Strings #164272
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Wipe them down with a soft dry cloth. See:

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/blogs/user/Samuel%20Milligan

    and scroll down.

    in reply to: PLACING IN SEQUENCE #87437
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It’s the scallopy dotted line connecting finger numbers. If I have time I’ll see if I can dig out an example to reference.

    in reply to: PLACING IN SEQUENCE #87434
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Walked placing is often marked in Mr. Grandjany’s music, incidentally.

    in reply to: PLACING IN SEQUENCE #87433
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Were you taught it?

    Yes.

    >Do you know another name for it?

    Well, Miss Malone just called it “DON’T BUZZ!” as far as I can recall.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 or Lyon and Healy 85P #161462
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, they carry both of them all the time. Just ask them to let you know when they have more coming, and be sure they know you want to see both side by side.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 or Lyon and Healy 85P #161458
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Paul, you’re not *that* far from Richmond. Take a day, get up early and drive up there, if you possibly can. VA Harp Center carries all the different brands, so you can compare side by side. (I’d give them a call to be sure they have the models you want to see in stock).

    You’re a heck of a lot closer to all the dealers than I am (S FL). 🙂

    in reply to: Student Book #87470
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >had several pieces memorized perfectly

    Can you give us some examples?

    in reply to: Student Book #87467
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hey, Kay, be fair. I didn’t respond because i couldn’t possibly answer this question without more information: what’s she playing now, what kind of music does she like? Where does she want to go with this?

    It’s not like there’s a generic book that comes Clunk! out of the slot for this question (although I think both of Briggs’s suggestions were excellent).

    in reply to: GETTING PAID #149980
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    What Janet said!

    in reply to: Do you have footage of great harpists performing? #111091
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    No, sorry no “ins” anymore–time passes, alas. But the school did use to archive all performances there: always audio and sometimes video for special occasions.

    While I was there she also played the world premiere of a piece called “The Marshes of Glyn” (can’t remember the composer, but big harp part) and the Debussy Danses with some symphony members and I do remember a video camera there (they were too big to miss back then). Possibly the RPO would know who might have that footage. It would have been in ’83 or ’84 I think. It was not in the Eastman Theatre, though, but in a local church.

    in reply to: Do you have footage of great harpists performing? #111088
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Good for you, David! I think Eastman probably has some archive footage of Miss Malone playing, but it would most likely be towards the end of her career.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 1,501 total)