barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163260
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Really, Bernhard? That’s very interesting. I can’t think of any US maker who does now. Most use some kind of nitrocellulose lacquer.

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163257
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’ve been wondering about that myself, Diane. I don’t think anyone uses real shellac anymore, so finishes shouldn’t be a problem, and I know that synthetic glue is used for some aspects, like laying up columns, but I do wonder if any maker still uses hide glue for anything these days.

    in reply to: Harp-Shaped Bookmarking Buttons! #111540
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Nice work, Sherry!

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163255
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Incidentally, Gwyneth Wentinck is a vegan. I’m not sure how she deals with these issues with her own harp, but on tour she does just play regular harps with regular stringing.

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163254
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, yes, and if you really want to get into it, nylon is made from coal, which also is made from dead critters, so I guess it’s all pretty much a question of timeframe.

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111534
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I agree with Kreig Kitts. if you read the words, Time to Say Goodbye is about saying goodbye to your old life as you go off with someone to begin a new one–quite appropriate for weddings.

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163249
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I personally felt rather bad when playing my harp and my beloved cat walked through the room…).

    No need. It’s sheep and cows you should feel sorry for where strings are concerned, fairy.

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163247
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    What brand of wires did you test, Tacye, just out of curiosity?

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163244
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Although, if you are in Europe, I suppose you might be able to have strings made to order using some kind of synthetic fiber, but that would be expensive.

    Lever harps that use strings from the major pedal harp string makers would be the same as pedal harps in this respect, although some lever harps use wound nylon over metal for the base wires (those strings are not suitable for a pedal harp, though).

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163243
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There is one other possible potential problem for you as a Vegan, Louisa, that I’m not sure there is a workaround for. Traditionally, on pedal harp wire strings the wrapping between the core and the winding is made of silk. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not, but if so, I don’t know of a way around it.

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163240
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, you can string a pedal harp with nylon strings, but the harp should be regulated by a technician when you change the stringing material. It won’t sound as nice, of course, but where I live many pedal harpists use few or no gut strings because of the problem of string breakage from the humidity.

    You can start on either kind of harp, but be aware that you can play pop and classical music on a lever harp. I gig pretty much exclusively on lever harp and I never play folk/celtic music unless requested.

    There is not much difference between learning on a pedal harp of a lever harp if you have a good teacher. (Obviously there is the difference between learning to flip levers and learning to pedal, but the hand technique is the same).

    in reply to: My new harp!!! #111488
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Congratulations, Christopher. It’s sooo much fun to get a new harp, and there aren’t any nicer people anywhere than the folks at VA Harp Center.

    BTW, I kind of liked the dolly they carry–can’t remember which brand it is, but it was one of the McKay style ones. Very tight turning radius on it. (I prefer my old Royal Harp Cart to anything available now, since the harp sits flat, so you can leave it on the dolly while you go off and reconnoiter at a gig, but you can’t get those anymore.)

    Yeah, you’ll get probably get a little blistery at first, but it will pass. :-)

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145243
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Gloria, won’t it go in lying on its back across the back seat?

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145242
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yeah, I don’t doubt Toyota did change it. They were one of the big lobbiers against Congress raising the EPA average requirements, for all that they capitalize on the green thing in their advertising.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145238
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yeah, that was one reason I didn’t really consider the Prius–it does better for in-town mileage, and I do mostly highway driving. Aside from the fact that I’m not perfectly sure how the people who post here that they can get a harp in a Prius actually do so, the mileage difference relative to the cost difference for the car just didn’t add up. Cute car, though.

    And I really totally don’t understand why they cut the EPA ratings on the upcoming matrix model. It’s not nearly as attractive a proposition at the new figures. Seems like a silly thing for Toyota to have done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,501 total)