barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145236
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I actually like the Yaris a lot more than the Matrix, and I seriously considered getting one and just renting a van on the few occasions when I need to haul the 11, but since that’s usually times like Christmas Eve and running away from hurricanes, I decided against going that route. The Yaris would be fine for a smaller harp and it feels a lot less GM-ish inside and gets close to 40 on the highway. And you can’t get anything cheaper than that.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145235
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The matrix is pretty cheap, Leigh, and my escort was about as cheap as you could get. I can’t think of any larger car that has a lower base price than the Matrix/vibe, and there are plenty of used ones available. The Prius, on the on the other hand…

    The Yaris is cheaper, and it would haul a semigrand, I think. It was just barely too small for my 11.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145233
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Just saw the article in today’s paper about $4 a gallon gas by May. All us Matrix folks can feel smug about that, anyway.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145232
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Sorry, Janet, I live in FL. I can’t imagine needing all-wheel drive here. πŸ™‚

    in reply to: FloridaHarps.com #111544
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hmm. Well Tammy, as someone who’s had floridaharp.com for years I can’t say I’m thrilled by your URL, but good luck anyway.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145230
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, the last two years of the Escort wagon were great harp cars (in 1998 they lengthened the wheel base 4 in and that made all the difference in the world). It was actually more commodious than the Matrix–narrower, but longer. Of course the Matrix has much more headroom.

    But yeah, it’s that first “Wait a minute–this holds almost as much as my huge old (name of car)” moment that makes you fall in love with your first small harpmobile. πŸ™‚

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145228
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    See, Janet, I think that’s the difference between our takes on this car. It’s your first little-economical=holds-a-lot car, isn’t it, while I had an Escort wagon for many years before the Matrix–I went through the “miracle” stage already with that car. πŸ™‚

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145226
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Congrats, Kirsten. I’m sure you will love your Matrix, especially if it’s your first experience with how much really fits into a small car. (The vibe and the matrix are basically the same car, incidentally–it was a joint venture between pontiac and Toyota. Only the trim is different, but I think you were wise to get the Toyota version.)

    in reply to: All giddy about harmonics! #163296
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Sorry for the typo, Sherry.

    in reply to: All giddy about harmonics! #163295
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Sheery. Yes, you can play harmonics at the 12th, but they don’t carry so well. Salzedo’s Poem of the LIttle Stars is all about harmonics at the the 12th. It’s in Sam Pratt’s ‘Wedding Cake’ collection.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145222
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Sherry. I don’t really notice that so much, although I find it extremely irritating that the Matrix has manual controls on the side view mirrors, so there’s nothing to do but keep squinching back and forth to the driver’s seat until you get them adjusted (I think the sport model had regular electric mirrors, and I know they’re standard on the 2009).

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145220
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, it’s a standard load, then swing the base around to angle it so it all fits.

    in reply to: Painting on harps #102716
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I would just point out that there is a pretty big difference between painting a folk harp and painting a pedal harp. I would encourage anyone considering painting a pedal harp to consider the possible implications for resale (i.e, you’re taking a much, much, bigger economic risk if you aren’t absolutely certain of what you are doing.)

    in reply to: Painting on harps #102714
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Natalie from L&H once told me that they occasionally get requests to send out soundboards before the harp is assembled. The artist paints it and then they put the harp together. That’s the best way to ensure a consistent finish all over.

    However, I did paint the soundboard of my prelude after I got the harp from L&H (that was before the decal was standard). I removed the finish from the board, painted it in situ (that is *VERY* hard to do, incidentally), and then carefully wrapped and masked the entire harp so I could spray the lacquer. Masking the harp and strings took longer than painting it did. In those days they used Deft lacquer, which requires arms of steel to rub out to a ripple-free finish once it’s applied. It would probably be easier if you had access to a proper spray booth and compressor. I had to use the canned stuff.

    This would be a big, tricky job to do on a completed harp, especially for working up at the top of the board where there isn’t clearance for the shortest brush–I had to cut one down.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145218
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I do understand the sight problems

    ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,501 total)