Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAlthough it’s not exactly a folk music degree, I think that Laura Zaerr’s lever harp program at U of Oregon is primarily geared towards traditional music.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThere are also a couple that are just readers that you sit on a stand, but given how often things fall off/fall onto stands, I’d be terrified that it would get smashed in short order.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThere are a couple of different ones. This is typical:
http://www.ministryoftech.com/2006/11/05/12-lcd-electronic-sheet-music-stand/
For me and for the other musicians I work with the added weight and the worry of potentially damaging an expensive piece of electronics, plus the hassle of getting music into the darn thing all the time far outweigh the minor difficulties of regular sheet music, especially when you consider that for most instruments an entire evening’s worth of music makes a pretty slim folder, when you only have a single line.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThe device you are talking about already exists, but I don’t think it’s very popular. Most musicians find it just plain cumbersome.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantVery nice idea, Harp Ambient.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantBravo, Tony! Well said.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantGreat story, Katerina.
November 1, 2008 at 11:38 pm in reply to: From what date was music written specifically for double action harps? #162376barbara-brundage
ParticipantKaren, pedal harps are either single or double action. A single action harp has one row of discs, so you can have two positions for every string: flat and natural or natural and sharp, kind of like a lever harp does.
A double action harp has two rows of discs, so each string has three positions: flat (no disc engaged), natural (one disc engaged), and sharp (both discs engaged).
October 14, 2008 at 1:44 pm in reply to: Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate #73289barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt should work the same way in firefox. Trying here:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/AntiquePedalHarps/
Just hit return twice before pasting. WWW without the the whole http part of the address will not parse as a link here, incidentally.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI don’t know for sure about this (haven’t had confirmation from them), but FWIW, I heard at Asheville that Mid-East is going to go to harpsicles and stop carrying the Pakis.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIf you’re around Asheville this weekend you might want to pop over to Southeastern Harp Festival at Lutheridge Center:
http://www.southeasternharps.com/SEHW/Vendor_Hall_and_Shopper_Pass.html
You can get a pass to the vendor hall without purchasing the conference registration.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAll music fonts are scalable. However, I think you are more likely to see the opposite happening, Saul. Paper is by far the most expensive part of publishing, along with shipping to distributors, so I would expect to see publishers squishing more on the page, not less, as the overall market demand for sheet music shrinks.
Of course, the concept of buying a printed piece of sheet music is going away anyway. Everyone is moving towards downloads.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI’m with Briggsie. Although I very much dislike the current handle design for Camacs, they are definitely the levers to get if you use your levers while playing.
Lovelands are okay on lower tension nylon harps (I’d never turn down a Dusty because of the lovelands, for example), but they are major string eaters, especially for gut, and the sound is pretty bad on higher tensioned harps with the levers engaged. You really want a metal lever.
Truitts are at least metal, and they are probably the prettiest lever of the three, but I find the handles insubstantial (and sometimes sharp edged) for making fast changes when playing. The intonation is good with Truitts, though, so if there is an extra charge for Camacs and you mostly play Celtic, they’re an okay budget choice. I think Camacs are more adjustable in a regulation than truitts, but I’m not 100% certain about that.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYes, it does sound interesting, but unfortunately I’ll be up there on other business, so I just have time to stop in and look at harps for bit. Looking forward to seeing you again!
barbara-brundage
Participanthttp://www.bartleby.com/61/wavs/87/L0298700.wav
courtesy of the American Heritage Dictionary
-
AuthorPosts