barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161722
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >t’s just that I often see here posts from people who plan to “move up” (I prefer the word “transition” myself) to pedal harp, and I wonder how many of us are more attracted to the folk instruments and their repertoire, and have no plan or desire to play the pedal harp?

    But that’s what Tony is saying: what is the lever harp repertoire? It’s whatever you want it to be. People play all sorts of music without pedals, you know. To imply that it’s only suitable for folkies is doing it a disservice. You’re still implying that you need pedals for anything else.

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161721
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    What Tony said!

    in reply to: Krumpholtz Romanza #161759
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Wow, how amazing and generous of them!

    in reply to: How do I know if a chord sounds right? #161599
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I mean to leave the other fingers placed while you play the single strings. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

    in reply to: How do I know if a chord sounds right? #161598
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    One way is to use your eyes as much as your ears. If you can see that one string isn’t vibrating or is vibrating much more than the others, that means you need to put in some more work. It helps to place the three notes and then practice playing each finger individually, too. Don’t always do this in the same pattern, like 321, though. Do 231, 132, 312, etc, as well.

    in reply to: Judith Liber #86152
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I don’t have it, Patricia, but it’s been on Sylvia Woods’s site for a while now.

    in reply to: choosing a lever harp #161762
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I would strongly suggest finding a teacher first. You may be able to rent a lever harp to start with, maybe even for the duration of time before you transition to the pedal harp. In any case, renting for a bit will give you time to develop a better sense of what kind of lever harp you want, if you do decide to buy one. Many teachers rent harps very inexpensively to their own students.

    in reply to: Divided Interests, Divided Heart? #86268
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Fair enough. 🙂

    in reply to: Divided Interests, Divided Heart? #86266
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > If they really don’t let them know that as well.

    Who can say this, Tony? I sure wouldn’t presume. I might tell a student that s/he would need to work much, much harder if they want to do this or that, but nobody can know for sure about students. I’ve seen too many amazing young harpists burn out early while others just keep plodding along and eventually get there.

    in reply to: Tuning question #161988
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, the Fun from the First books are great, and very inexpensive, too.

    in reply to: Tuning question #161982
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You should tune the harp the way it’s meant to be tuned, and adapt the music if necessary.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161852
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Anyway, mid-east manufacturing (link in my previous message) is the main importer, so you should be able to get a key from them.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161851
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, that’s one of the latest pakis. Their new harps are all copies of Stoney End and other harps.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161834
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    This sounds very much like a Paki. You could contact mid-east manufacturing (www.mid-east.com), or you could also try the new universal tuning key from Dusty Strings, although they are pretty expensive.

    in reply to: Buzzing noise from the levers #162048
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also, as a first step, take the harp into another room. Often the buzz may be a sympathetic vibration coming from something else in the room. Rule that out first. If the harp still buzzes in another room, then the problem is something with the harp itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,501 total)