Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAside from other considerations, camacs are not a good option in a situation like this, since you also need the camac bridge pins for their system to work properly.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantLooking at the string finder at harp.com you can get either stringing for an Ana, Deb.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThe ana that I had definitely used regular pedal harp strings. If this is true now, it must be a recent change.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAlso, if you find you really need more space, most mid-range and higher laptops will let you plug in an external monitor when you’re at home. Since you don’t need high-end color for a program like Finale or Sibelius, you can pick one up fairly inexpensively. (All the current Mac laptops will drive an external, up to a 30″.)
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThe biggest problem I have with it, David, is positioning. The gooseneck part is really long, in my opinion a little too long (you could illumine a bound full-size orchestral score easily), and the flange on the back of the light housing is not very deep, so it can be difficult to bring it into the right position where your music is completely illuminated without the light being so high it blocks your view of the conductor or else isn’t shining the light into someone’s eyes if there are people seated at the same level as you.
barbara-brundage
Participant> included charger
Sorry, I meant the AC adapter. The mightybright doesn’t have a built-in battery like the Lotus. So the lotus is more convenient in that you don’t have to worry about batteries, but less convenient in that once the batteries run down, it’s done till you recharge it (mine doesn’t put out much, if any, light while charging).
Also, lotus does have a bag, but the mightybright bag also has a pocket where you could store a tuner, business cards, extra batteries (although they claim 16 hours of battery life at the bright setting–haven’t had a chance to run down a set yet to see how long it really lasts. On Christmas Eve it lasted four hours with no dimming.)
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOh also, for wooden stand owners, the mightybright clip is padded so it doesn’t mark your stand.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI’ve had the lotus light for a long time, and I think it’s just okay. Mine drops significantly in brightness after an hour or so and it’s not that bright compared to an incandescent light. I also think it’s overpriced.
An alternative, which I’m just trying is the MightyBright Orchestra light, which runs on either batteries or the included charger, has a wider light distribution, two light levels, comes with a bag to keep it in, and can be had for about $35 on amazon (which I don’t understand, since Shar sells it for that price on amazon but it’s $65 if you buy it from their own website):
http://www.mightybright.com/Music-Lights/LED-Orchestra-Light
Note that both these and universal kliplite (which also has an LED version:
http://www.kliplite.com/LEDcordlessKliplite.html
all put out a very white, cold light which doesn’t exactly flatter the performer. Of the three (I own them all, I would rate the mightybright the best so far).
barbara-brundage
Participant>I’ve noticed some “dead space” at the bottom of the staircase… thinking of knocking in to the wall and making a built in drawer.
Do it, Sid! I also live in a townhouse, albeit with pretty good storage, but the previous tenant cut a door under the stairs and it’s amazing how much storage there is in there. I’ve also seen where someone did stepped drawers, something like a built-in tansu.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYou, too, Deb, and everyone here!
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThe base cover is a problem because of the big plastic circle, but I put the column cover inside the big cover, roll them up tight, like a bedroll, and bungee with two bungee cords and the whole thing fits on the top shelf of a shallow bedroom closet, but just barely. I stand the base cover up on one edge behind the stuff in the bottom part of the closet.
But then I don’t use the whole set very often. For the harp I moved all the time I just kept the main cover draped over the carrier when I put that away.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantShe was known as a very fine pianist, primarily. Of course, during that period it’s not at all impossible that she had harp lessons as well as piano lessons as a child.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantHi, Mr. S. The Russian edition you mention (with the second version as a cue line and also including the Nocturne) was also the standard version in the west for many years–it was available from Salvi as one of their publications. I don’t know if it still is or not.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThanks Tacye!
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThanks. Yes, it’s listed as second in Grove’s, too, but that doesn’t always mean it was the second to be published.
-
AuthorPosts