balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Teaching Myself (?!) #215545
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, everyone! Thanks for all these great posts to Snoopy Lee. There isn’t too much I can add here, but I just wanted to say that I started playing by ear before I was five years old. My strict father loved that I had this ability, but he insisted that his son would become “musically literate,” as he put it, and learn to read music. That way, I could communicate my art with other musicians, also writing down musical notation. I owe him a lot, I must say, having achieved a Master’s degree in music, in three different instruments, piano, organ, and harp.

    It is still the most fun to “play by ear,” but I have always enjoyed learning the classics, and playing them from memory at my concerts. My dad also insisted on this, as he disliked musicians playing in public with their music sheets and stands–it was a “distraction,” ha, ha! So, Snoopy Lee, persevere in your reading of music and playing the harp by ear. They are both essential to your development as a musician!

    Best wishes and harp hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Threaded vs Tapered Tuning Pins Christina Therapy Harp? #215275
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I prefer tapered pins, despite the fact that my Dusty FH36S has threaded pins. Like Charles said, having to back out the threaded pins to change a string is a pain! If a tapered pin ever works loose, all that is necessary is to apply pressure to the tuning key, turning back and forth a bit to force the pin a bit further into the wooden neck of the harp.

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for inspiring me to try this one on lever harp! I play it better on pedal harp, though, something for little Davy to aspire to in the future. It is always good to hear how he is progressing–thanks for posting these videos of him.
    Best wishes and harp hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Amplification #215107
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    You may also want to check Musicmakers’ website.

    in reply to: Arrangment for the hymn – O Sacred Head Now Wounded? #215106
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Jackie! I just sent you a private e-mail about this. Hope some others respond soon!
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Stairs #215063
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good replies, everyone! I own the six-wheeled Harp Caddy in order to navigate our steps and stairs. I also have my sweet wife on hand to assist me, every time I move the concert harp up or down stairs! Happy Valentine’s Day, all of you sweet folks out there!

    Best regards,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: DVDs? #214503
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Pamela Brunner has a nice one with DVD, I believe.

    in reply to: Position of Harp 2 in the orchestra #214502
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Gretchen–good luck on the performance! I am doing a solo pedal-harp concert tomorrow which includes some French classics–send me good thoughts!
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Clifford Wooldridge #214501
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for posting this wonderful video, Gretchen! I adore this work above all others in its class–Ravel’s harp writing skills set the standard for all other composers!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Double String Debate #213796
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Tacye, for posting the video. Now I, too, am quite fascinated with this style of harp!

    in reply to: Hello everybody! #213610
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Basel, thanks so much for posting your beautiful video of you playing your wonderful Salvi harp. Take that out on the streets, try some busking (with protection from the elements, of course!) take it into some old-folks’ homes, into some restaurants, and show them what they are missing! You are so talented and your playing is so nice, do keep it up and MAKE folks listen to you in Sweden. You have a rare gift, so get yourself out there. You may start a new trend of harp playing in Sweden! We don’t have many harpists here in the mountains of western North Carolina, USA, either, but I take my harps “out there” and people love it! Best wishes for your success in the future. Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Double String Debate #213600
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Never heard of a “double strung pedal harp!” Wow, wouldn’t that be a huge complicated mechanism? Did they, or DO they, have double action?

    in reply to: Catholic Mass #213599
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree, Gretchen–always work with the music director of the church where you are going to be the guest musician. Also, I used to play Celtic harp (and piano) at a Mexican restaurant owned by a dear friend of ours, Maria. I played all the Spanish and Mexican tunes on the harp like a classical guitar, and the customers loved it! Since I cannot play the guitar, the harp has to do, ha, ha!

    Best wishes for a very happy New Year!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Christmas 'concert' for family – set list???? #213515
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for letting all of us know how it turned out, Tanya. Also, congratulations on your new Camac Excaliber (our friend, Josh Layne, loves his new one, too!). If I were not so “addicted” to my beautiful Cherie harp (Dusty Strings FH36S) I would most probably choose the Excaliber for myself. The wonderful folks from Camac were so nice at the November Camac Festival in Washington, D. C.

    Hope you all are having a great harp day! Happy New Year!

    Harp Hugs,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Catholic Mass #213301
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Very nice response, Sylvia! I am an Episcopalian (Anglican), so the Catholic order and also the Lutheran, are very similar. I get called in to do all of these since I understand the order of service, so it is indeed a nice thing to know how to do. Best of luck, Affeltranger!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,492 total)