harpcolumn

new music from Carl Swanson!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire new music from Carl Swanson!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I just found out that Carl Swanson has just published a new book of pieces entitled, “Marcel Tournier–10 Pieces for Solo Harp”. Tournier is my favorite composer and knowing Carl’s excellent skills as an editor, I am very excited to hear this news!

balfour-knight
    Participant

I have the highest praise for this new edition of Tournier’s pieces, Jerusha! The old editions were so much trouble to read and figure out what to do, that it made learning the gorgeous pieces a real chore. Not so this new edition! I can now sight-read these pieces as easily as I can read and play them on the piano, which is really saying a lot! It has been so nice to be able to enjoy Carl’s amazing work during this time of “sheltering at home.” I totally recommend all of Carl’s new editions–look them up on his website!

Best to all,
    Balfour

Alison
    Participant

I’m certainly interested. What are the top ten ?

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Any chance of a digital copy Carl – same price? Thanks a lot, Philippa

carl-swanson
    Participant

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Alison- If you go to my web site, then click on the “store”, you can click on a “free sample” tab that allows you to down load the first two lines of every piece in the edition. So you can see what’s there, see how you like them, and see what the level of difficulty of each piece is.

Phillipa-It would be up to the people at Carl Fischer to decide whether or not to do digital copies, and for the moment they don’t. I don’t know where you live, but if it is within the U.S. the shipping charge is so cheap! With media mail, shipping one copy of the Tournier anywhere in the 50 states is $2.85!!! And today I shipped a package to someone who had ordered 4 items, and the shipping charge was $3.30!!!! If you live outside of the U.S. then the shipping cost goes up substantially. But if you order several things at once, like 3 or 4 items, then the cost per item really drops down.

Carl Fischer always decides the price of my editions, not me. I was really amazed that they could do 67 pages of music for $33.00. That’s $3.30 per piece in the edition! Where can you buy any music for $3.30??

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Australia – shipping more than the book – and I already have your other editions so nothing to batch it with! Is it not cheaper for them to send an email that print a book? Don’t get me wrong I like to have books as well but it seems like an easy option for the same money for a publisher.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Philippa- Can you combine an order with several other people? That would bring the shipping way down for each book. I don’t think that Carl Fischer is interested in doing downloads. Please understand, they own the copyright, they make all the decisions on the publication.

Alison
    Participant

As for stockists in the UK with a quick turnaround outside of our well known harp shops, Presto Classical are good, they had a promotion on Ricordi recently. I was already interested in Carl’s editions of the Danses, the Trio Sonata and the Faure’s. For upcoming students these compilations and ‘corrections’ will be of enormous benefit.
    https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/search?search_query=harp%2C%20carl%20swanson

Carl you have done a tremendous amount of work, well done. I often think I’d like to take some pieces to a local publisher and definitely some orchestral parts, mentioning no names……

carl-swanson
    Participant

Alison-Thank you for mentioning Presto Classical in the UK. I didn’t know about them. I just sent them an email letting them know about the Tournier edition. If you can think of any other stores that sell harp music, both in the UK and on the continent, please let me know. I’d like to be able to reach as many harpists as possible to let them know about these editions.

Alison
    Participant

Good – I also emailed Presto Classical earlier to ask them to stock or catalogue the complete set of yours. they often work on a fulfilment basis, whereby they list but don’t hold actually stock.

The other one I suggest is Music Exchange in Manchester, they didn’t seem to have anything of yours when I looked; I like them and they stock harp music.

https://www.music-exchange.co.uk/contact.php

Alison
    Participant

They replied to me saying that copyright law means they can’t list these until May 2021, so another year to go for Tournier in the UK as his lifetime dates are born January 5, 1879 died May 8, 1951.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Alison,

I paid a licensing fee for the right to publish the Tournier edition. So it doesn’t matter whether it is in the public domaine or not. It can be legally sold in the UK.

Alison
    Participant

It does seem a bit ridiculous.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Alison- I sent emails about this last night to the lawyer for Carl Fischer, the President of Carl Fischer, and the person in charge of marketing and sales. I’m hoping they can give me an answer sometime today. I can’t imagine that the licensing fee that I paid allowed the music to be sold only in the U.S. In the mean time, a big music store in Holland, Broekmans & Van Poppel, are listing the Tournier on their web site. So if you can’t buy it in England, you can get it from a Dutch store. You can of course order it from my web site, but the postage will be very high. I’m sure it would be cheaper from Holland.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Alison- Here’s an update. The lawyer for Carl Fischer told me this morning that the license we bought to publish the Tournier edition is worldwide, and good in all countries. So the person I dealt with was misinformed. It can easily be sold in the UK.

Here’s where the holdup is. All European music stores have to buy their Carl Fischer inventory through a music wholesaler(in Europe) and the wholesaler doesn’t yet have the stock in. The Carl Fischer lawyer contacted Presto Music and dealt with someone other than the person I dealt with. That person told him that as soon as the wholesaler had it in, it would be immediately available in his store. The Carl Fischer lawyer told me he was going to contact the European wholesaler to make sure they had all of my publications.

There is a big music store in Holland called Broekmans & Van Poppel. If you go to their web site, (hit the English button on the home page!) and then type in my name, all of my publications come up. The postage from Holland shouldn’t be too bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies