harpcolumn

Question on Soundboard Rivets

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Question on Soundboard Rivets

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jzydek
    Participant

I just looked at an L&H 15. The bottom 7 notes don’t have rivets around the holes in the soundboard, and strings have started digging into the board. Is this something that putting new rivets on would solve? Or is this soundboard damaged beyond repair. Please, I am looking for a knowledgeable answer and not a guess. Thanks in advance.

kk195223
    Participant

Is it possible to reach out directly to L&H and ask for input on your question? My apology if you have already thought to do this.

Tacye
    Participant
    carl-swanson
    Participant

They’re not called rivets. They’re called bass wire dots. They’re made of nylon, and if they get loose, the wire string can rotate the dot around so the string is digging into the center strip(the strip of wood that all of the strings exit the soundboard from). This can be fixed, but there should be dots on all of the wire string holes in the center strip.

jzydek
    Participant

Yes, and that’s what we were thinking — that they were supposed to be like that. I have never noticed that before, but I’m not a big L&H fan, so I never really saw them like that. I’m quite sure it’s normal. The soundboard is probably normal. Thank you so much for that pic.

jzydek
    Participant

Thanks, Carl. Yeah, they are not turned. They are fine. I just expected to see rivets or grommets like on my Camac. Thank you.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello, Jzydek,

Forgive me, but I am a bit confused. I read elsewhere on this forum that you have a Camac Athena CG. Doesn’t it have dots for the bass strings? My Camac Atlantide Prestige CG certainly does, 14 of them. They go up two notes higher than the 12 Bass wires, since Camac can also provide a different gauge of strings for those 14 notes, all in wire. Please check and see if your Athena is like the Atlantide.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

jzydek
    Participant

No dots on my Athena….no.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by jzydek.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, jzydek! I just thought all Camac pedal harps had those nylon dots. You learn something new every day on these delightful harp forums!
    Cheers,
    Balfour

balfour-knight
    Participant

By the way, I have always called those “eyelets” that the other strings pass through.

jzydek
    Participant

Carl, I picked up the harp today, and I noticed that although none of them are turned, many have wear, and I would like to replace them all. Is this something I can do myself? Maybe push them back and out and stick in new ones from the back side maybe? If so, can I get the dots from L&H West d’ya think? TIA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies