harpcolumn

Triplett vs Dusty Strings 36-string Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Triplett vs Dusty Strings 36-string Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Michaela Braveman
    Participant

I would like to purchase a 36-string lever harp and am considering both Triplett and Dusty Strings. I understand there are pros and cons about both companies and I can’t seem to make a decision.

All input is much appreciated!

Michaela

Which models have you tried?

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I am considering the FH36S as well as the Signature model. I hear that both are very excellent. I live within 2 hours to the Triplett factory and could actually go and pick up the harp myself, which is an added bonus. I also prefer Triplett’s customization options over Dusty Strings. However, some people say that Dusty Strings is the “best” and I do like their harps as well.

It’s a big investment, and I don’t want to have any regrets.

Michaela

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think what it will ultimately come down to is which YOU like best.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Sorry, I forgot.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Thanks Audrey. I actually visited the Sylvia Wood’s store a few months back and played some of her harps, but at that time I wasn’t particularly focused on purchasing a 36-string harp. I live in Pacific Grove, approx. 2 hours away from the Triplett factory in San Luis. At this point I am leaning towards the Triplett Signature model, mainly for reasons of convenience and aesthetics.
    I might have an opportunity to go back to Sylvia Wood’s store in a couple of months, so perhaps I will hold off on making

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Small world, Michaela!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Another thought…the annual Highland Games and Celtic Gathering in Ben Lomond is October 4.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Thanks again, Audrey, for your input and great suggestions.

How long have you been playing the harp and what kind do you play?

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I’ve been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I play a Dusty Strings Ravenna 26.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi again Audrey,

I’ve been add it for about 1 year now, taking lessons from Lynda Jardine in Carmel Valley. I started out with a wonderful 27 string lap harp (“Nightingale” by Lewis Creek Insruments), which I absolutely adore. I thought that some day I might want to go into Harp Therapy, so I wanted to start out with a good small harp.

However, for the last 3 months I’ve been feeling a real “itch” for a full size harp and the more I think about it, the more I want it. (From what I understand, this is a common problem in the harp world…).

How do like your Ravenna harp?

Michaela

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a Nightingale too Michaela, in walnut, and I agree with you, it IS a lovely little harp.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I absolutely love my Ravenna.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

“SADD”…, i never heard of that disorder but I guess I am indeed suffering from it.

As for “Wire Harps”, I am sure you probably know that Triplett makes them. I know a guy here in town who owns a custom Triplett Luna Wire Harp, and that is the most gorgeous instrument I have ever seen!

I met him at

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

It’ll be a long time before I can afford another harp, but I’ve been known to do a fair amount of drooling myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies