Triplett vs Dusty Strings 36-string Harps

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162718

I would like to purchase a 36-string lever harp and am considering both Triplett and Dusty Strings. I understand there are pros and cons about both companies and I can’t seem to make a decision.

All input is much appreciated!

Michaela

jennifer-buehler on #162719

Which models have you tried?

Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162720

Hi Jennifer,

I am considering the FH36S as well as the Signature model. I hear that both are very excellent. I live within 2 hours to the Triplett factory and could actually go and pick up the harp myself, which is an added bonus. I also prefer Triplett’s customization options over Dusty Strings. However, some people say that Dusty Strings is the “best” and I do like their harps as well.

It’s a big investment, and I don’t want to have any regrets.

Michaela

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162721

I think what it will ultimately come down to is which YOU like best.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162722

Sorry, I forgot.

Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162723

Thanks Audrey. I actually visited the Sylvia Wood’s store a few months back and played some of her harps, but at that time I wasn’t particularly focused on purchasing a 36-string harp. I live in Pacific Grove, approx. 2 hours away from the Triplett factory in San Luis. At this point I am leaning towards the Triplett Signature model, mainly for reasons of convenience and aesthetics.
    I might have an opportunity to go back to Sylvia Wood’s store in a couple of months, so perhaps I will hold off on making

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162724

Small world, Michaela!

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162725

Another thought…the annual Highland Games and Celtic Gathering in Ben Lomond is October 4.

Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162726

Thanks again, Audrey, for your input and great suggestions.

How long have you been playing the harp and what kind do you play?

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162727

I’ve been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I play a Dusty Strings Ravenna 26.

Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162728

Hi again Audrey,

I’ve been add it for about 1 year now, taking lessons from Lynda Jardine in Carmel Valley. I started out with a wonderful 27 string lap harp (“Nightingale” by Lewis Creek Insruments), which I absolutely adore. I thought that some day I might want to go into Harp Therapy, so I wanted to start out with a good small harp.

However, for the last 3 months I’ve been feeling a real “itch” for a full size harp and the more I think about it, the more I want it. (From what I understand, this is a common problem in the harp world…).

How do like your Ravenna harp?

Michaela

Participant
    unknown-user on #162729

I have a Nightingale too Michaela, in walnut, and I agree with you, it IS a lovely little harp.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162730

I absolutely love my Ravenna.

Participant
    Michaela Braveman on #162731

“SADD”…, i never heard of that disorder but I guess I am indeed suffering from it.

As for “Wire Harps”, I am sure you probably know that Triplett makes them. I know a guy here in town who owns a custom Triplett Luna Wire Harp, and that is the most gorgeous instrument I have ever seen!

I met him at

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162732

It’ll be a long time before I can afford another harp, but I’ve been known to do a fair amount of drooling myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.