harpcolumn

Windy Wedding

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Windy Wedding

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

That’s a fantastic idea, John. I’ll have to try it. Never had a problem with gnats but sometimes with really loud birds like peacocks.

Rachel
    Participant

Although they are pricey, there are large clips that work well for holding pages together and they have clear plastic on one side so that you can see through them to your music.

These big clips work well. I have a pair.

Briggsie

Stephanie
    Spectator

If the day is not too particularly windy, you can also use those clips and be able to turn the pages while you are still playing. You just have to have to clip the music a bit askew beforehand (in order to grab and turn) and then as you turn the page, angle it back into the clip.

mr-s

Listen all , i was thinking many years ago about inventing an electronic LCD screen stand, this its a computer , we put pages inside a file , we open it and there sholud be a mouse we press it by foot or by hand lets say a button , we ress it then page turns to another , so we will be organized and will never think about wind, but keep my right of invention if some one will do it .

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Someone already did, Mr. S:

http://www.therawfeed.com/2006/11/electronic-music-stand-does-it-all.html

but personally I’d rather have another small harp, like a Ravenna, for what it costs.

helen-rudd
    Participant

I wonder if you could use the large Kindle for this, or perhaps the upcoming e-reader by Plastic-Logic? Has anyone played around with any of the larger readers to see if they can be used for sheet music?
    Helen

barbara-brundage
    Participant

That music would be pretty small after you shrunk it down to fit the page size, even on the larger ones.

And I don’t know that kindle has a pdf importer/reader, does it? Wouldn’t the music have to formatted as a kindle ebook? (Even though amazon bought out stanza, it seems to be more to prevent it from continuing development than to have an open-source reader for their product.)

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, also the kindle is absolutely wretched at displaying graphics (my PSE books are avaiable for kindle, so I’ve SEEN what it does), which is how it would have to display music. Trust me, you wouldn’t want to look at it for more than about 30 seconds at a time.

helen-rudd
    Participant

Rot,
    Well maybe the new plastic logic device or the new apple tablet will be better at it. I do know that you can read just about anything on the kindle though you just have to download and convert to do so.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, but for the kindle that’s text. It’s just not a very sophisticated graphics computer. Graphics look like they were printed with a dot matrix printer, if you can remember those. I doubt the apple table will be full page size. You can get sheet music for the ipod/iphone, but if you don’t play a single line instrument like the flute it doesn’t work too well. But if you go to the music section of the app store you can see lots of screenshots of that.

Personally, I don’t see this working for a while yet (and me, I wouldn’t want to worry about an expensive device like that getting thrown to the floor when someone bumped my stand), because there just isn’t demand. The number of people who actually play instruments is declining all the time–music is a totally passive experience for most people now, so the potential market is even smaller than it was even a few years ago when that stand thing was invented.

Rachel
    Participant

Here is the revised

helen-rudd
    Participant

Hmm, I guess we’ll have to wait and see then. The plastic-logic display is supposed to be a full 8 by 11 very thin portable, touch sensitive display (similar to the iphone) so I would imagine it would work well for music. The apple tablet is also supposed to be thin, 10 inches and touch sensitive and both are going to be much cheaper than the current electronic sheet music options. I’ll put the links for both for anyone else who is curious about how these would work for this purpose:
    http://www.plasticlogic.com
    http://www.innosight.com/blog/410-apples-tablet-the-next-ipod-or-the-next-newton.html

I know a couple people that I’ve heard use these swear by them.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s hilarious to me that based on one report from one rumor site (which picked up one article from an Asian newspaper known for starting false rumors) everyone knows all the details about the mac tablet, which may very well not exist at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies