harpcolumn

Why does this post keep disappearing?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Why does this post keep disappearing?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Biagio
    Participant

It’s an interesting question – why many seem to consider the harp to be a women’s instrument? If I had to hazard a guess, it would bear out of the orchestral setting of the last century – to this day many I meet think of the pedal instrument when they hear “harp.” I tell them that the style I play – an Irish clarsach – was almost exclusively a man’s instrument, and you should see their eyes roll:-)

I’m sure that we are all almost as anxious as you are and looking forward to hearing about your harp when it arrives!

Biagio

hearpe
    Participant

The horses are in, and the harp is FAKE- in fact it is the SAME harp on ebay in the link above- It is not even close to appearing genuine- it is NOT the hap pictured- not even a reasonable copy- just similar.

There are no wound strings – it lacks four levers on the high end-an annoying trend in Pakistan harps. I searched Camac Bardic images on the web and videos , but never found one image of the back of the harp- so I can’t tell how close that may be- it scarcely matters now. It is lighter in weight than my Mikel 27 harp, but scant consideration right now.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do or what I can do- at this point- but as I said in the first post “Caveat Emptor”. I wish Camac had answered my early query, but in answer to the out source question- the answer is “no” I guess-

they are not involved- although someone is advertising using their name their ad copy and specs, their pictures even- and colors- a sad testimonial against Paki builders I’m afraid, and all questions to that are answered by the point of origin of the shipment Whatever the merits of any harp or harps may be, this is just a SCAM.

the color is Horrible and not the pretty cherry color shown by Camac or seen in videos of Camac Bardics on youtube.

The vendor may or may not be in the UK- how can one tell?- but lied to me about shipment dates and times- probably until they built and painted a harp to resemble the ad at least in any way.

The packing was very professional for what it’s worth, and it came in a nice canvas gig bag I wouldn’t really need, but going by the ebay ad of the exact same harp I’ve paid several hundred more for that same harp, and now the scam price is almost FOUR times the e-bay price.

Unscrupulous, and as “security minded” as the corporate scene has become worldwide , you’d think this could be shut down after several months at least that I’ve seen the site up. But maybe when it comes to taking money, its alla little united against the consumer I think- get the cash and babble things about spurring labor-

and I stand behind the consumer reporting comments I made earlier. THIS post IS that now. Someone can learn by my mistake, many people may not even realize they have been scammed by this. Unfortunately I do.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by hearpe.

Oh no! I am so sorry! Hopefully you will be able to get your money back! I hope others considering making the same purchase can find your post and stay away.

Tacye
    Participant

I wish you all the best getting a full refund! Do you have any protection from the payment method you used?

Biagio
    Participant

I’m afraid that there is little chance of getting your money back, if Paypal cannot, though I very much hope you do. For sure, report this scam as widely as possible – on the Harplist, to Google, scam.com and any other places you might think of. I believe that this would also fall within the purvey of Interpol.

It is unfortunate that Camac did not respond, but to be fair it is a very large company. Smaller companies such as Thormnahlen and Dusty are quite responsive. I think you are being a little unfair in blaming “corporations” when you did not take our advice nor do your due diligence. But alas that is water over the dam and let’s not open any wounds.

I’m sure you feel pretty low at this point but let me reintroduce the idea of the Musicmakers Limerick kit if you are still in the market for a good small low price instrument. THAT company is very responsive and while the Limerick is not in the class of a Camac Bardic or Dusty FH26, it is an excellent harp for the price, and it is very easy to put together. Be sure to download the construction details before ordering to see if it is something you might want to do. And keep an eye open for end of year deals which Musicmakers often offers.

Biagio

hearpe
    Participant

To be fair Biagio- this advice here is a little bit de post facto. If it’s an ongoing thing otherwise, let me just say I do come here and read posts and post myself, but it’s a slow moving forum and I am not glued to it and have no sense of longstanding advice from it. In my own mind my greatest mistake was assuming that eCrater was like ebay somehow- which has buyer protection I’ve had to use for things that didn’t show up or showed up damaged or were misrepresented- but never of this magnitude. It was a after I’d placed the order that I read eCraters disclaimer- and I would not have ordered the harp if I’d read that.

I’m also wowed that they have the same Camac ad copy VERBATIM, the same pictures and specs and color schemes- THAT is not just calling a harp a “Camac” harp and presenting another. It’s sheer conniving I didn’t expect at the rather high price I paid that’s since been raised to full Camac retail prices. This place has NERVE to say the least!

anyway- IT’S WORSE than a major horrible Scam- because the harp itself is damaged and shoddy- not even a normal paki harp I’ve had and enjoyed- My Mikel Celtics or a ROOSEBECK blow this away in terms of quality control even for what it is and presented in the ebay ad for the same harp- which I wouldn’t consider that unreasonable at $370 delivered. But I’m out twice that for now and anyone else is out FOUR TIMES that if they pay the Camac price it’s still advertised as.

Here’s my Little Scamac_
    hairline carcks in pillar
    rotted material used for the base
    NAILS driven in at pillar base and sticking into sound box interior
    cracked non-camac feet- I’d simply remove otherwise
    and on and on…

I’ll post this while I load photos – I think I need to resize- stay tuned

hearpe
    Participant

the “Scamac”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hearpe
    Participant

Pillar Crack extends around two plane surfaces,

feet crack- very poor unsanded surfaces as well

absolutey ROTTED base of sound box interior- they couldn’t afford another piece of wood? Fuels paranoid feelings of sheer bad intent on the part of the builder
    Notice the NAILS driven through the pillar into virtually NOTHING as a base of support at the main critical joint of the harp

Attachments:
    hearpe
    Participant

Shoody gluing and finish at sound box bottom and top- PEELING gouged wood
    notice the top is nothing at all like camac design

Back of soundboard PEELING in large strip- BEFORE ASSEMBLY

several other spotty peelings next to interior side further up.

Attachments:
    hearpe
    Participant

Shoddy gluing and finish at sound box bottom and top- notice the top is nothing at all like camac design

Back of soundboard PEELING in large strip- BEFORE ASSEMBLY

several other spotty peelings next to interior side further up.

Attachments:
    hearpe
    Participant

One of two levers that don’t open up correctly

Bridge pins that aren’t aligned at the end-
    The bottom red C string appears slightly thinner gauge than those above it- like it was broken and then incorrectly replaced

finally, show in entirety next to my modified Mikel Celtic- a heavy but much better harp I’ve tweaked much better sound from with some mods- less than half the cost of this scam and a much better harp from the get -go

I’ve always heard that Camac levers are supposed to be good- does anyone know if these levers even appear similar? I”ve searchd images on the internet and things are obviously labeled incorrectly or haphazardly by the posters until I still can’t be sure what a Camac lever is without anything to compare it to- their own ads are lacking here I think.

Attachments:
    hearpe
    Participant

Sorry the pictures are all a little more orange than they ae in reality- artificial light I didn’t compensate for- but I think you’ll agree- they are DISASTER!

Attachments:
    Biagio
    Participant

Those are definitely not Camac levers, I have no idea what they are.

hearpe
    Participant

http://www.harp-levers.com/images/levers.png

These are images that originate with Camac I believe. Their levers appear to make use of a cam instead of a pin of any size. Dare I say the cam lever is somehow tied into the name Camac itself?

No my “Scamac” has common pins to press against the strings. They are different from most Roosbeck types of levers I’ve seen, and from the levers on my Mikel harps.

Tomorrow I will be seeing what measures I can take personally, and I will probably alert Camac of France once more. Any thought of trying to turn this into any better harp on my own are obliterated by the hopeless condition, horrible construction and damage.

Incidentally, the harp weighs roughly 14.5 lbs otherwise, sans extended legs- so that’s the only aspect even close. The strings are all loose and un-tuned and I have no intention or desire to tension them, for fear of collapsing the nailed pillar with the hairline crack, even though the gauges remind me of Angel hair pasta! I chuckle and weep at the same time! Ha.

Biagio
    Participant

I am very very sorry – you are right, that thing is atrocious. With all those issues I am afraid it is not salvageable. Not as a harp, anyway; perhaps a lamp base? I’m not kidding, it’s been done.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • The topic ‘Why does this post keep disappearing?’ is closed to new replies.

Recent Replies