harpcolumn

Whoa! Now this really is different. The shape of things to come?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Whoa! Now this really is different. The shape of things to come?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Anyone seen this article, or familiar with this system?

Bohlen-pierce scale info

To play with this with a pedal harp, I think you’d have to redesign it.

Bizzare but interesting and not totally unpleasant like a lot of experimental music.

Jennifer

paul-knoke
    Participant

Well, interesting, yes, but do many people remember Harry Partch and his work with microtonal music in the ’50s and ’60s?

The premise is a little flawed, in that equal temperament is a compromise or adjustment from mathematically exact tuning in which the octave vibrates at the ration of 1:2, the fifth at 2:3, the fourth at 3:4 and so on. However, since tuning by ratio doesn’t result in a temperament that allows keyboard players to modulate freely using only 12 divisions of the scale, equal temperament became the most usual compromise.

In this case, since (as I understand it) the double octave has been divided into 13 intervals, each interval will be relatively wide, resulting in more consonance. The most dissonant interval used in most western art music, the minor second, has been eliminated, which may explain some of the the appeal of this new tuning system.

Thanks for bringing in this topic; it’s fun to see how people are experimenting and exploring!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

On second thought, were you to attempt this even with a cross strung, you couldn’t adapt a typical 5/7 cross strung (which is based on the 12 black/white notes of the piano) directly.

Paul

I don’t know if this other tuning scale will catch on but microtonal music existed before Harry Partch and is still in use today!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies