harpcolumn

Who was Renée David, to whom Tournier dedicated Au Matin?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Who was Renée David, to whom Tournier dedicated Au Matin?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Who was Renée David, to whom Tournier dedicated Au Matin?

MusikFind1
    Participant

In Paris about 1928 there was a publisher Editions Renée David.
    Altough the Marcel Tournier, Etude de concert in F Major was published in 1910.
    Dedication A Renée David
    Publisher Info.: Paris: Maurice Senart, n.d. M.S. & Cie. 3657

Tacye
    Participant

Someone of that name who I presume was the same person was 2nd runner up in the Conservatoire class in 1912 http://bluemountain.princeton.edu/bluemtn/cgi-bin/bluemtn?a=d&d=bmtnabh191207-01.2.12&e=——-en-20–1–txt-txIN——-#

carl-swanson
    Participant

My copy of Au matin, also called Etude de Concert, has a dedication to Mme. R. Benda. I met her many years ago when I studied in Paris. I’m sure she was a student of Tournier. The story I heard, I can’t remember where, was the Tournier gave her the manuscript for Au matin before he went off to serve in the First World War, telling her, “Make sure this gets published if I don’t return.” I wonder if R. Benda and Renie David are the same people, but one was a maiden name, and the other a married name.

Tacye
    Participant

The publication date which goes with your story fits better with the Maurice Senart publication number than the 1910 date does.

Angela Schwarzkopf
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I recently completed my doctoral dissertation on Marcel Tournier. I have checked my records, and Renee David is listed as a student of Tournier on the 1911-1912 conservatory class list. It also states that she was admitted to the school in 1910. Although Tournier was not teaching at the conservatory in 1910, it is possible that she was a student of Tournier prior to her admission to the conservatory. Tournier frequently dedicated his repertoire to his students so this link is not surprising. I hope this helps!

Angela Schwarzkopf

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies