harpcolumn

What’s on your music stand? Summer 2012

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break What’s on your music stand? Summer 2012

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

I think “sublime” would fit nicely 🙂 !

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Neither! Just working through a book I got at the WHC in Vancouver. Most folks say you need a pedal harp for blues or jazz. Here’s someone who thinks otherwise.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Jessica,

<>

cc-chiu

@ Jerusha Thanks! 🙂 I’m far from mastering the Handel, I can now get through the first parts of the first movement! 😀 (measure 28). The difficulty is mainly in finding out good fingerings so you can make everything sound nice and polished, technically it’s not as hard as I expected it to be. There are only 11 lever changes in the first movement. It is a piece you need to build up slowly, however. That’s quite hard because I’ve got all those nice youtube video’s in mind and not being able to play it nice and fast is really annoying. However, that’s the only way to learn it without adding bad habits etc…

There are several lever harp arrangements for the Handel concerto, in fact. I’m learning the one by Odette le Dentu, but Ank van Campen also did one (there’s also an orchestral score for that one), as well as Ann Griffths and there are probably much more arrangements that I’m not aware of.

@ Jessica – good luck with learning blues! I think you can do anything on a lever harp – did you know that Deborah Henson-Conant is going to tour with Steve Vai? She’s bringing all those guitar techniques to her electric harp. I think that’s a pretty big argument in favor of the fact that anything can be done on a lever harp, as long as you are willing to think outside the box… 🙂

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Jerusha, CCC: I was a guitarist long before I was a harpist. The kind of blues I like best is Son House, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Leadbelly. All of which are probably better played on 12-string or slide guitar, but what the hey. I may even try blues on banjo, too.

deb-l
    Participant

I just ordered some new sheet music for my music stand..

I like it!

deb-l
    Participant

I just listened to some Damase on youtube, rich, beautiful large rolled
    chords..

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Deb,

I’m selling some of my lever pieces, and one of them is a book, in beautiful condition, of classical works by JS Bach, Handel, and Scarlatti that was arranged by Dominig Bouchard.

First 3 movements of Ceremony of Carols

La Source, Hasselmans

And going through some old stuff for fun……YAY.

Briggsie

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies