harpcolumn

What is the best type of chair for a harpist?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp What is the best type of chair for a harpist?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

What is the best type of chair for

tony-morosco
    Participant

A good, adjustable music bench is what you want. Height depends on your height and the size of the harp. It is all about being able to maintain correct posture and sit comfortably at the instrument, and so that means it will vary depending on who it is playing and what harp they are playing.

As for colors and decoration and all, that is a matter of personal taste.

I have seen people use all sorts of chairs and benches, at all sorts of heights. I have seen some people play at heights so low or high I have to wonder how they can do it with out being sore afterwards. But we are all built a bit differently so if it works for someone and they are not injuring themselves that is all that matters.

My teacher was a very short woman and she managed to play a concert grand without any trouble. I often found her bench a bit too low for me to play at for long periods, but not a problem for shorter periods. But yes, a short harpist can play a concert grand without stressing themselves too much.

David Ice
    Participant

I found that, after my back surgery, the music chairs from Wenger were superb.

http://www.wengercorp.com

Products / chairs / music posture chairs / student

The URL is a zillion bits long, but the student chairs are the best.

It depends on what kind of job you’re doing. If you are sitting for great lengths of time, such as in opera, ballet or symphony, you want a very comfy seat with a back that can be adjusted to your body type. I have a Concert Design chair, which has adjustable levers for chair height, angle and back support, and it’s heaven. Their gig stool is much lighter, but you have to set it to your own specifications with a screwdriver, so it’s not as ideal for teaching. These are not cheap chairs, but if your back is bothering you at all, it’s worth the investment.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

I recently purchased an “Allegro” orchestra chair from Concert Design (the same company which makes the special harp chair Elizabeth Volpe mentions in her post) and I like it very much.

Has anyone tried the adjustrite chair that’s listed in Sylvia Woods?

Whatever one you get, it should look appropriate, unlike a drummers stool.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Never tried the chair, but I have an adjustable, portable bench I got from her. Although the idea of a chair with a back is nice, especially when you know you are going to be spending a lot of time waiting to play (I don’t know about everyone, but when I am actually playing I never lean against the back of a chair anyway), but the bench is nice because the height is adjustable and I also got the case with backpack straps so it makes it so easy to transport.

It’s a trade off. No back, but ease of transport and it is basic black and doesn’t attract attention so it fits in almost any setting.

I received the Adjustrite chair last week. It’s only $169–more in my
    budget than others with a back. It folds when you pull a certain way
    so it can collapse. It adjusts with a 5 ” range –black fabric seat. I found
    it very comfortable. I have suggested it to a couple of students who play
    longer engagements.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m going to check out the Wenger chairs that David suggested. They look very comfortable. I’ve had two back surgeries, and I’m resisting a third 🙂 Anta’s chair sounds good too. Playing out isn’t the problem for me yet, but having something to practice on is becomming more important for me. I need one of Saul’s does everything and holds everything chair!

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Cecelia,

After my surgery I couldn’t play more than 60 minutes before reaching for the percocet, and a 2 hour gig put me in bed for the rest of the weekend!

unknown-user
    Participant

This is very timely information for me. I’ve been reduced to no more than 15 minutes at a time or suffer the consequences for at least the rest of the day.

There is a problem with the Wenger website involving their shipping rate. The student chair I believe David was referring to is quite inexpensive, but their shipping calculator will arrive at a fee higher than the chair. (Unless they’ve fixed it since I called them.)

I telephoned Wenger and found them to be extremely helpful. The correct shipping price was 25% of what the website quoted, so the entire chair with shipping and tax was a bit over $100. Well worth a try!

Thanks, David, for posting about this chair. I’m hoping at a minimum it will be able to double my sitting time so I can get a few sessions in per day.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dave, I hope that you get a good report from the doctor, and that you won’t need additional surgury on your back. Has your doctor reccomended a Tens

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Wegner has been in business for a long time, and the orchestra chairs are wonderful, so I’d guess that the special chairs would probably be very well made.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Cecelia,

I’m due for a MRI on Wednesday, and yes I do have a tens unit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies