harpcolumn

what does this marking mean?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play what does this marking mean?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jaydg
    Participant

Help please, with a marking in an orchestral part.

Is this (pic attached), at the end of the bar, a tremolo between these two chords, or is it a gliss , three-at-a-time?

(it’s in Respighi’s ‘Pines of Rome, no. 3 towards the end, before the birds and the harmonics).

The celeste is marked similarly, which makes me suspect the tremolo, but I just wanted to check. TIA.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by jaydg. Reason: Spelling!
    • This topic was modified 2 years ago by jaydg.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    brian-noel
    Participant

Yes, it’s a tremolo, but you’ll have to decide how you want to execute it. There should be a treble clef in the left hand so you have enharmonic versions of the same three notes in an A-flat or G-sharp minor chord. I play this by playing GAB LH / CDE RH, quickly rolling the six note chord from top to bottom using two hands and repeating this rolled chord until the end of the fermata. Others may have a different solution.

jaydg
    Participant

Thank you for spotting the missing treble clef – that makes a bit of a difference! And I like your idea of rolling the chords much better than two solid alternating chords – the celeste can do that, I’ll be more harpy.

Thank you, much appreciated 🙂

ETA: having played around a bit, I think I like them rolled, but as written, so LH and RH fingers interleaved.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by jaydg.

If you have Bea Rose’s book on Orchestra parts, I’m sure it’s clearly marked there.

jaydg
    Participant

I do now, I didn’t when I asked the question.

But in fact, I can’t see it in her book. I suppose it’s not orchestra-specific.

I did do as she advised for the harmonic bit, and put the harp in Cb.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies