harpcolumn

Warming up . . . the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Warming up . . . the harp?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

It’s too bad they couldn’t come up with different levers. But if you tune in C, wouldn’t that cause more stress on the E’s & B’s to begin with? Grant it this solution eliminates the need to flip the levers, but if you want to play in the key of F you’ll be stuck. Hate to see you sacrifice key versatility- I would wait to see what the technician says if it were me.

Was the Ogden new as well?

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

Hi Karen, I don’t think it’s the performance levers themselves, I’ve had these levers before without issues on other harps.

tony-morosco
    Participant

My pedal harp is a L&H 85P.

My lever harps are a L&H Folk with Loveland levers and a Camac electro harp with Camac levers.

deb-l
    Participant

I love the sound of the Camac electro harps.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Well, the 85P is the only one that actually breaks strings. Of the two that broke one broke up high, near the action plate. The one that just broke did so right at the eyelet.

However in both cases the breaks

deb-l
    Participant

Tony, that brings up another good point.

kay-lister

Come back, come back . . . I feel like we’ve turned down a side street here.

tony-morosco
    Participant

LOL, sorry about that Kay.

But ultimately I think the point is that what is more important is allowing the harp to acclimate to the environment and keeping it maintained and tuned rather than “warming up” in terms of giving a little playing to get it ready for some ‘REAL’ playing.

So long as the harp is physically warm enough, and is in good working condition, there isn’t any reason to need to give it a warm up that I can think of.

I think any perception that the harp plays better after a warm up is really just the player warming up, not the harp.

kay-lister

That’s what I have always thought as well, but the other thread (science project question) got me thinking.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Well, I guess someone will have to do an actual experiment. Now we just need to work out the details and get some guinea pigs..er…voulenteers.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies