harpcolumn

Wait… You’re telling me L&H aren’t the only harp makers in the world?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Wait… You’re telling me L&H aren’t the only harp makers in the world?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lauren-d
    Participant

It seems so funny, but I just now realized that there may be lots of other harp makers out there with great quality instruments. I’ve been learning for about 5 months on a Troubadour VI…
    Please open my eyes to other harp makers!
    I’m not looking for a celtic harp.
    I think for looks, my ideal harp would be maple wood (another question- does the type of wood affect the sound?) with perhaps a hand painted or carved design.
    But most importantly, which makers make the best sounding harps? Thanks!

lauren-d
    Participant

I would also be really interested to see any amazingly decorated or unique harps, just for the fun of it.

harp guy
    Participant
    lauren-d
    Participant

Right, I’ve google searched it, but I want recommendations from people here who have gotten a chance to play them and hear and see them in person.

tony-morosco
    Participant

In my opinion you can’t go wrong with:

Lyon & Healy

Salvi

Camac

Swanson

Venus

Pilgrim

There are certainly other excellent harp makers out there, and individual harps and models of harps from these makers can all be different. They all have their unique qualities, but I have either played on or heard played harps by all of these makers and they are all impressive in my opinion.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Oh, and to clarify, I recommend these as pedal harp makers.

You said that you were not looking for a Celtic harp, but you didn’t specify if you generally meant lever harps by that, or just lever harps in a Celtic style.

Pedal harps tend to actually be made from the same kind of wood, and the finish is typically a veneer.

Lever harps of different makes tend to come in various woods, and yes, the wood can effect the sound.

For lever harps the names you generally can’t go wrong with are:

Triplett

Dusty Strings

Pilgrim

Kortier

Fisher

Camac

WM Rees

Blevins

Mountain Glenn

Again, these are far from the only great lever harp makers, and both Salvi and Lyon & Healy make what, in my opinion, are good lever harps that are actually an incredible value when you compare price to quality (and I own a Lyon & Healy lever harp myself, along with a Camac), but the one’s above are, in my personal opinion and experience (having played or heard played harps by all these makers) among the best.

lauren-d
    Participant

The mountain glenn harps are so beautiful! Thanks for all the company names it was really helpful.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

It probably will not be your most practical harp as they are made in Tasmania but for unique you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies