harpcolumn

Used Lyon and Healy 85P

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Used Lyon and Healy 85P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Is it better to purchase a new Lyon and Healy 85P, or a used one that has been broken in and is in excellent condition? Thanks. Paul

andy-b
    Participant

When I bought my 85P, I got it used from a reputable dealer.

unknown-user
    Participant

I was wondering where you purchased your used harp? Thanks. Paul

andy-b
    Participant

I got both that harp and the Prelude I have now from the Virginia Harp Center.

Paul,

I also got my harp from Virginia Harp Center. They were most accomodating, honest, fair and forthright. I felt very nervous purchasing my harp from them, as I had never had anything to do with them — or any harp store — previous to this. I feel I got very lucky finding them. My new Athena Ex. came in perfect condition — shipped when there was a lull in the freezing weather so it would not be too stressed in the cold. That was in Feb. 06. The harp was 2 years old and had been used at Interlochen in their summer program for 2 years. They gave me an original 5-year warranty on it since it was hardly used. In Feb. 07 I took it to Tom Bell for my free regulation as they provided that too within 18 months of purchase and it needed some adjustments. They were just wonderful. Last summer, I was in Delaware and my brother and I planned on driving up to the Haddonfield store just so I could try different harps. I am fairly new at this and just wanted to play some harps — and buy some strings. I talked to the owner and he strongly encouraged me to come and play the harps. I played all afternoon, and he was so very nice and kind. There was a young girl in the store who wanted to practice but was on vacation with her parents. The owner took a 23 into a practice room for her and she practiced on it for a couple of hours. They are really really nice people.

I ended up buying my travel covers from them as a result of such super service, and I always buy my strings from them. I deal with other harp stores for music and accessories too, but the VA Harp Center is my favorite.

June

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Good question. Well, if its an excellent harp and is in great condition, and you love the sound – then it might be worth going for that one. At least you know you like it.

You could get a technician to do an assessement for you, or take a harpist with you that knows a fair bit about structural things…

Yes, having a warranty is handy….but as harps vary so much, if you find one you like I’d snap it up! New or old. I’d only buy new if you could have a choice.

Hope this helps, its just my thoughts.

Hi Rosemary!!! Good to see you.

June

brook-boddie
    Participant

Welcome back, Rosemary!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies