harpcolumn

Two Topics for Future Features: Old Harps, Gut Strings and Vegetarians

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Website Issues and Feature Requests Two Topics for Future Features: Old Harps, Gut Strings and Vegetarians

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    susan-knapp-thomas
    Participant

HI, Everyone —
    I’ve come across two subjects lately that I’m curious about that I’d like to suggest for future articles or features:
    1. What To Do With This Old Harp
    My 42 year-old Salvi has been through the war, with multiple repairs, has been structurally weak from the beginning (the soundboard and base started separating when the harp was only 8-years old), and has lost pedal rods repeatedly. I’ve been fortunate to be able to rent it to many a student, each for whom it has benefited as a playable instrument. This harp has not even crossed my doorstep in the past 30 years, as it’s been rented out again and again. AKA, it doesn’t owe anybody anything, and has literally paid for itself and done its time. It now has another broken pedal rod, and I can see from removing the base that there’s more structural breakdown. The pedal spring won’t even come off because it’s bent, and I can see that this is why the rod broke in the first place.
    So, what do you do with a harp that you feel has no life left and will keep breaking and start being a liability? Is it worth rebuilding, or will it keep destroying itself no matter what?
    I think it would be a very helpful article if others have experience with harps of this nature!
    2. Gut Strings and Vegetarian Harp Students
    I have a student who is uncomfortable with the notion of gut strings on the harp. She is hesitant to play them. We’ve had a discussion about repurposing, kindness to animals, and how nylon strings are synthetic and can also have a negative impact on the environment. What is the future of strings as young students emerge with concerns about the environment and animals?

balfour-knight
    Participant

A comment for the old harp, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant—enter into thy rest!”

Alison
    Participant

Can you donate the harp to a high school which has an orchestra and metalwork department ? pedal rods and springs are relatively easy to fix with a bench and replacement parts.

billooms
    Participant

Regarding #2 — Don’t tell them the harp was likely made with hide glue. Even worse if the harp has a lacquer finish (made from lac bug excretions).

balfour-knight
    Participant

I enjoyed your responses, Alison and Bill! You all have a great day.
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

charles-nix
    Participant

Then there are all the insects killed when the tree was cut down. And the mammals killed by the truck on the way to the sawmill……

The gut (like nearly all leather) is a by-product. The animals would have been killed for food regardless. Personally, I am glad that as much use as possible is being made of the animals, providing a biodegradable string material from a truly renewable resource. Unlike nylon, which is neither–and which demonstrably kills untold millions of marine animals.

And if there is a problem touching it, you can mention that the strings are encased in clear finish. (Assuming you don’t have Pirastro oiled guts $$$).

balfour-knight
    Participant

Great post, Charles!

Biagio
    Participant

Well nothing in life is without “issues.” Not even if one goes back to living in a cave. If one objects to a harp on environmental grounds, consider that some are made from rare and even endangered tree species. Not to mention that some woods are toxic such as Wenge.

Seriously though you could perhaps take her through the history of the harp, emphasizing it’s unique place among stringed instruments, the thousand years of craftsmanship that has gone into what we have today. That might not make her feel better about the string thing but it might make her feel better about playing one.

Just sayin’…

WRT to the elderly harp: since it would cost a good deal repair/overhaul, consider donating it…I am sure we have all seen old harps having a new life as artistic frames – I’ve even seen one in the garden to hod flower planters.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Biagio.
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Biagio, that way, the poor old harp could indeed “enter into its rest,” ha, ha!

Biagio
    Participant

Well, but really a better idea might be to contact theatre property managers. Harps often show up in films and on stage. I recently noticed one in Sleepless in Seattle (that was a Troubadour but what the heck).

William Y
    Participant

I’m a long-time vegetarian, though my wife / daughter aren’t. We use gut strings on my daughter’s harp. There are alternatives out there, but gut really has the traditional sound that people are used to.

While strings do last a long time, and while I’m sure other parts of the animal get used, I’m not sure it’s entirely true that they’re just byproducts of general animal farming, as the cows apparently have a special diet:
    > Lyon & Healy sources its strings from a company in England that feeds its cows a special carrot-free diet (carotene stains their innards a very un-harp-like orange). It takes the small intestines of approximately 14 cows to string one harp.

(from a Chicago Magazine story; having trouble posting with links in the article, so omitting the link here)

I was surprised that it took that many (this doesn’t even factor in the waste that may come from strings which don’t even make the cut for Burgundy).

W/r/t harps that use a French polish finish and hot hide glue, I’d say that’s probably less of concern for many vegetarians, just because they’re typically vintage and have already been bought sold at least once. While some vegetarians or vegans may eschew anything that came from an animal at any point, many are fine with buying things as long as they’re not directly creating demand and / or supporting industrial agriculture.

I have had some minor dilemmas when getting a new guitar made with older construction techniques, since lacquer, bone, and hide glue were all involved.

As with other instruments, I imagine the synthetic options are getting better (e.g., the Aoyama bio-nylon ones), and will continue to over time. For folks who are very strict / pure about it, maybe this option is worth a look

William Y
    Participant

In addition to the “bionylon” ones, there are also “biocarbon” / “fluorocarbon” ones like Sipario / Savarez Alliance (the latter of which at least claims to have gotten somewhat closer to gut in terms of density). Some of these options are supposed to be at least somewhat better than regular nylon both in terms of carbon footprint, and in terms of durability.

Again, no personal experience, and while I am guessing many professionals would continue to use the traditional gut, many of these strings are sold by reputable sellers, and probably it would be fine for your student to try them and see how it goes, if they are really opposed to using gut and / or regular nylon. On a pedal harp, maybe the regulation might need to be adjusted.

I’m sure there is a lot of marketing hype (and there are very strong opinions on all sides), but would be interesting to hear from people who have actually tried some of these options.

Biagio
    Participant

Leaving aside the question of vegan ethics I’ll just opine of the string material:

First density: higher density means higher tension at a given length diameter and frequency. From lowest to highest: Tynex nylon, gut, fluorocarbon. I often use the latter two instead of wound nylon/nylon in the mid range to maintain a consistent diameter progression.

Second tone: this relates to both elasticity and hardness. Gut and fluorocarbon are more elastic than nylon, FC being the most, and gut is softer than either of the other two. The next result is somewhat more “mellow” tone for gut, while FC is sort of in the middle.

Finally cost: gut is the most expensive and since it is often at a high tension there may be more frequent need to change the strings.

A great deal depends on the player’s technique, obviously as to how it sounds and responds. I doubt that many if any harp designers worry about their customers’ eating habits, but choose the design to achieve a “signature” sound. If a player wishes to substitute nylon for gut though it can be done – provided that a competent technician recommends the appropriate diameter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.