harpcolumn

Transportation in New York City

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Transportation in New York City

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi there

I’m playing for my friend’s wedding this coming May in NYC and need to find a way to move my harp from my 3rd floor Brooklyn apartment to the venue. I’m weary to have friends help me move it because of the flights of stairs.

Luckily, the groom has offered to pay for transport. I’ve had little luck finding a company who would do this – the only one I found that responded suggested using a 20-foot truck and two men, total overkill.

Any suggestions? Advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    Chelsea

There are a few or several professional harp and instrument movers in New York City, and they should be able to handle the stairs, though they will charge extra for it. I don’t have their names, but one service is called Boxcar, I think. Can we compile a complete list here? Somebody sent me a name once, a husband of a harpist or friend, I think. I could use the names, too. You can have friends do it, if they are strong, but train them first.

Chelsea, I’m thinking that if you join the American Harp Society you would be able to contact other harpists who live in New York City (at least 41, from Manhattan to the Bronx, and Brooklyn and beyond). We all receive a directory with listings by state, with addresses of other members; such a help in getting connected. Living on the 3rd floor and needing to get to street level with a harp, with no elevator available, is such a risk that someone needs to help you who knows what to do. Have you tried a piano store, that would have careful movers that take valuable pianos up many stories with no damage?

Piano movers are capable, but they charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Mario from AHS gave me a few names of harpists in the area who then led me to people they used for movers. For anyone else’s future reference – I ended up going with Gary Boxer at Sound Moves (gary@sightandsoundmoves.com).

I just found a note to that effect, but didn’t realize that was one and the same. He used to call his service Boxcar. But know that, even though they are used to moving harps, it doesn’t mean they are gentle or pad them well in the van.

Very good point, thanks Saul!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies