harpcolumn

Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

Thanks Gretchen! It really is a special harp…and the sound is amazing. I have a Blevin’s Bourrée 28 string (6.5 lb hybrid) so no need for so many harps, and no desire to tune that many strings. I am love, love my Pratt, but time for someone else to enjoy it!

duckspeaks
    Participant

Dear Karen,

Congratulations!

Elettaria

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried one of the Heartland Starlight harps yet? 38lb, apparently, due to being made in carbon fibre.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I think it would be easier to live without the top 2 strings than the bottom two, if you’re considering a harp with fewer than 47 strings. Not having that low E in particular would be quite a disadvantage.

karen
    Participant

Thanks Eliza. I came to the same conclusion (with help from my teacher, everyone here, and my gut). I opted for a 47 string L&H 85 Concertino Grand. at 71″ tall, it fits in my car, the one I chose has a truly spectacular sound (assessed by some pretty sophisticated ears–Michelle Whitson-Stone, Heidi Spiegle,and Paul Baker). I can’t wait to go pick it up and bring it home!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Karen,

I believe you have made an excellent choice!! 😀

We wish you all the best.

Balfour and Carol Lynn

karen
    Participant

Thank you Balfour and Carol Lynn! I can’t wait to go pick up my new harp. Patience is not my strong suit!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, Karen, that is so exciting! We were blessed to be able to take each one of our harps home with us as soon as we found them, but not our beautiful grand piano. We had to wait an entire week for delivery! That was one of the longest weeks in our lives, ha, ha! Hope you enjoy your new harp as much as we do ours.

Best thoughts,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

A 46-string harp is far superior to 44-string, if you can find the right size and price. I would not go with the 44 if you are not a child.

karen
    Participant

Thanks for weighing in Saul. I came to that same conclusion with the help of this forum, and some research on my own. I settled on a new 47 string L&H 85. I am hoping to pick it up this week. I chose the 85E Concertino Grand because it is slightly shorter (71″ instead of 73.5″ and a few pounds lighter). The 85 Concert Grand would not fit in my car, but the Concertino Grand did. This particular 85E has truly spectacular sound…can’t wait to get it.

karen
    Participant

Thanks duckspeak!

cjlharpo

Hi, Karen,

As another adult lifelong learner, I’d share that I decided not to move to pedal (which I played in my youth), but concentrate instead on all the options lever playing provides, including adding amplification, and electronic effects. This extends the world of playing and performing to include experimental and improvised music, jazz and blues. Sure, there are chromatic limitations, but I’ve been able to play in chamber orchestras and swing bands, and like Alyson, always challenged to figure out those workarounds, but it’s all possible!

Desr Karen:

I have two Lyon and Healy Style 14 harps available for sale. Email laurel@summerhaysmusic.com if you are interested in learning more about them.

duckspeaks
    Participant

Dear Karen,

May be this is less of an issue for girls and this ma also vary with body dimensions. Its time to line up your shoes to see which pair works best! For boys it may not be easy to have the right heels!

Cheers

karen
    Participant

Thanks for the offer Laurel.  I picked up my 85E Concertino Grand last week..loving it!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.