harpcolumn

The Worst Harp Player

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break The Worst Harp Player

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

>>I haven’t been feeling all that well lately

I’m sorry to hear this.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Saul, before you replied, I meant to add something, but forgot.

unknown-user
    Participant

Most of the harpists downhere fall into that catagoory.

unknown-user
    Participant

Many labels simply remove recording costs from royalty payments, so the artist do still pay the costs. As for t-shirts, I never got one, I don’t remember hearing anything about it, but it sounds like a great idea. How about if you all go to the AHS conference wearing them?

What is Glissando, a

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve been listening to several collections of harpists living and dead, and some of the recordings certainly do deserve to enter the “worst” category.

Has anyone heard a popular commercial recording during which it sounds as though the music stand has fallen over the harp with a resounding, metallic crash. Subsequently there are what sound like several attempts to right the tipped stand unsuccesfully. All very audible. On the same recording, there is a pedal harp with a very loud, metallic tone, although all of the notes are correct (no percussion from dropping objects). I wish I could remember the piece but it was something quite familiar.

Can’t think why the “dropping” piece wouldn’t have been re-done though. The jacket of the CD says nothing about it being a concert performance.

unknown-user
    Participant

That reminds me of a Gloria FitzGibbons who recorded an lp of music by Zabel and Holy played at achingly slow tempi, and I do believe she kicked her stand at some point, and you can hear some page-turning rapidly happening. I think she was from Adelaide.

Myra Omaira recorded all twelve of the Granados Spanish Dances on a harp with a straight sounding board that had never been regulated, apparently, and interestingly, she tapped her heels on the floor in flamenco rhythms while playing, somehow.

And Volga Krasnydoma, a beautiful redhead, made an lp released here on Monitor of pieces by Tchaikovsky, Glinka, and a lot of other names I can’t remember, all transcriptions, topped off by Chopin’s Fantaisie-Impromptu, at a wild tempo, but the harshest playing you could ever imagine. At the end of each piece the harp was completely out of tune.

Peter Pierce-Buckwall made an lp of music by Bax and some obscure British composers, and unfortunately, you could never tell what key he was playing in.

Sister Divine Hensworthy made an all-hymn recording I saw advertised on a Christian tv commercial. She had doves flying around as she played, singing along to herself.

The worst ad for a harpist was a four or three-named person from Georgia or somewhere who sings and plays like she is delusional. This one is real.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.