harpcolumn

THE BEST OVER ALL HARP

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists THE BEST OVER ALL HARP

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

At the harp conference in Denver in 1988, Lyon & Healy showed a 23 that was gilded with white gold. It looked like silver but would not tarnish as silver would. The action plate and pedals were silver-looking (steel or chrome, I don’t know) and reflected like a mirror. The rest of the harp was finished in satin ebony (not shiny). The soundboard was natural and the decoration was like any standard 23. That was the only disappointment: the decal should have had silver accents instead of gold/bronze. The sound was incredible. I heard Harvi Griffin play it and several other harpists. It was $24K, more than a regular gold 23 at that time, but it was such a fabulous harp I’ve never forgotten it. I heard that someone from Las Vegas bought it but that was long ago. It was so lovely.

Tacye
    Participant

I have never come across a recipe for vegetarian water gilding.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Does anyone do water gilding for harps anymore?

unknown-user
    Participant

Venus custom made a Criterion for a lady here in San Antonio who has an ultra modern house – the harp is

carl-swanson
    Participant

Water gilding is done all the time.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

But the major harp factories, the gilding they do is oil, right?

barbara-low
    Participant

No, they primary water gild. A few spots may be oil gilded.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

So it’s water gilding that’s the main thing on modern gold harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

Talk about gilding the lily…

John Walsh

GOLD GILDED HARPS DISPELLING THE MYTH

Dear On-line Harp Community, Maria and Rod C.

Hello! My name is John Walsh, I have served as a master gilder for Lyon & Healy Harps / Salvi Harps as well as Venus Harps W&W

Fairy Reel
    Participant

That’s interesting. I know a few people with gilding on their harps, and all have worn spots where the wood is beginning to show through the gilding. Gilding is certainly impressive and beautiful, but nothing is completely foolproof! Kudos on having such a fascinating skill!

~Fairy

John Walsh

Dear Ms. Reel,

Hello! John Walsh here, I just wanted to take a minute to respond to your comment. Genuine gold gilding whether it be traditional high end brilliant burnished water gilding for harps, or matte oil gilding, is an exclusive

John Walsh

GOLD GILDED HARPS DISPELLING THE MYTH

Dear Ms. Williams,

Hello! John Walsh here, I am a new member to the harpcolumn community and found your inquiry to be rather interesting. I am a real live expert production gold gilder and have served with Lyon & Healy / Salvi Harps, as well as with Venus Harps W&W Musical Instrument Company Co. for over ten years combined here in my hometown of Chicago, IL.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.