harpcolumn

Stage Fright~help

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Stage Fright~help

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

I agree with both Audrey and Carl, to differing degrees. I suffer from what I call moderate jitters when it comes to playing in front of an audience, especially on a stage. However, it has not stopped me from playing, so I would not consider it something that is debilitating. I also use other methods like meditation, EFT, and natural supplements to help with my nerves-as an alternative to medication.

unknown-user
    Participant

So,

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’m not telling anybody what they should do. She should try various options and see what works for her. That’s all you can do. But she should not exclude the possibility of medication if it proves to be a major problem.

I do not agree with you that “the vast majority of performers DO find that their stage nerves diminish” with experience. State nerves are very specific, as I said in my article. One person can do weddings, background music, even orchestra work with no problem, and then fall apart playing a solo. Another can have no problem playing if they are accompanying themselves singing, and then be a wreck playing in an orchestra. Yet another can play for a small group of people in their living room, but fall apart playing the same pieces in a concert setting. Lawrence Olivier stopped performing on stage for over 15 years because he couldn’t control the nerves. But he made movies during that time, which didn’t bother him at all. Horowitz withdrew from public performing twice during his career, each time for more than 10 years. But he made recordings during those periods, which didn’t make him nervous.

I know many people who gave up careers in music over this. And I’ve been told by knowledgeable people that many orchestra players use beta blockers for performances, particularly the brass players. In all the research I did for that article, and with all the people I interviewed, I did not find one person who could say that their nerves(for the events that made them nervous) got better the more they performed.

brenda-lee
    Participant

IT’S OVER! O.K, for anyone interested in how my “big first performance” went, here it is.

Good for you!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think that falls into the “live and learn” department.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Re the lighting, that’s another thing that always astounds me.

brenda-lee
    Participant

Hi Audry,

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Brenda!

Congratulations on getting through most of the piece and having an overall successful evening.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Hi Brenda –

I’ve played and performed on several instruments all my life, but when it comes to the harp I’m a basket case on stage. I take great comfort in playing with others and enjoy it a lot. All I can say about “adjusting” to playing with another person is that you can only control your own performance – not theirs. It’s a true team effort that when done well is almost as good as – well – you know! I’ve even had a conductor ask for a cigarette after one performance of Holt’s The Planets…

Congratulations on your performance – I hope to hear that you’ll be performing more!

brenda-lee
    Participant

Thanks, Pat.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Church really can be a nice venue, especially when you’re just starting out performing.

Shawnmarie S
    Participant

I read this string with great interest.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think what’s bothering me here is that this thread was started by someone about to play her first gig who was only looking for some supportive words.

helen-rudd
    Participant

Carl,
    I take beta blockers for pvc’s. I just started taking it in June. My reactions to things make me wonder if a study has ever been done on clarity of thought, and reaction times and beta blockers. Or maybe it’s just that without all that adrenelin there is room for actual thinking to go on!

I usually practice in the evening at the tale end of my morning dose about 2 hours before I’m due for the evening dose. After reading this thread I thought I’d practice in the morning just out of curiosity (not that I’m nervous practicing in my own home of course!) and I played much better. Fewer mistakes and with a smoother feel. This could have been due to mind over matter as well of course. So I’ve kept it up. It really does seem as if I play better shortly after my morning dose than I used to in the evening. Even though I am in no way nervous. I have rarely played in public due to extreme nervousness. It seems like with other instruments if I am nervous I can still play but with the finger slipping that goes on once your fingers get sweaty with nerves and the hand tremors…it seems impossible to play the harp when that happens!

And something unrelated to harps but I’ve always been a very nervous driver in the snow. So much so that I have to talk myself into driving in it, my fingers remain locked on the wheel, I sweat and I drive like a 90 year old. This winter we’ve had tons of snow and while I’ve been cautious I never seem to get that closed up feeling in my throat that panic causes, no sweating, trembling or gripping of the wheel either. After reading this thread I realized it is probably related to the beta blocker.

Thanks for the info!
    Helen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies