harpcolumn

Scaling back on teaching practice

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Scaling back on teaching practice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trista Hill
    Spectator

How do any of you go about telling specific students that you no

longer can teach them? If you have too many students, and realize

that you need to scale back and teach fewer, what do you tell the

students you need to let go due to commitment, discipline, and

overbearing parent issues?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Maybe summer break is a good time to deal with this.

unknown-user
    Participant

I agree that you should stick to the simplest reasons – scheduling conflicts and not having enough time. I have had to do this same thing a few times for various reasons. Each time it’s good to give them other teacher names and numbers. I usually give each student a little parting gift and make sure they don’t feel rejected in any way. Putting everything in writing with a specific date when the lessons will cease is helpful. Overbearing parents may keep pressuring for one more lesson. I have found that it’s important to never allow parents to stay for lessons. This almost always results in trouble. I don’t know if that has ever been an issue for you. Teaching in the home instead of a school environment can sometimes result in a more relaxed, less structured environment which can bring out more discipline problems in students and more intrusiveness from parents. I had one student who used to chase my cats around the house. I do think that teaching can be some of the most rewarding work, but I don’t tolerate disrespectful behaviour. No one should. It’s better to save your energy for people who appreciate what you have to offer.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Trista,

This is the type of thing I have told parents whose students I can no longer teach:

“Recently there have been additional responsibilities placed on me that will make it impossible for me to continue teaching the large number of students in my studio. I have appreciated the opportunity to work with your child, but it is now necessary to transfer your child to another teacher. Enclosed is a list of names of teachers who I respect and admire. You child will be in excellent hands. I am disapointed that circumstances have made this necessary. The last lesson will be on ___________ . Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in the transfer process. “

Fortunantely no one has ever tried arguing with me when I present it in a simple and final way. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies