harpcolumn

Salzedo notation sideways U-shaped accent

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Salzedo notation sideways U-shaped accent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    aglaia-t
    Participant

I’ve been working on Salzedo’s Bolero and have been taught how to play the captioned accent. Can anyone please tell me the exact name of the symbol and the reason behind playing it that way? Greatly appreciated.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I don’t believe there is a name for that symbol. You just have to know what it means. My harp instructor said the reasoning is to make the playing smooth between that note with the sideways U and the next notes. You normally would raise but you slide up and down the string(s) when you see the U. You will see the same symbol in Salzedo’s Tango.

This would be a good segment for Josh Layne’s Harp Tuesdays.

Hannah White
    Participant

On the first page of the Bolero, Salzedo says that this is called an “expressive accent “.

Hannah White
    Participant

The upside down U shape with little swoops on the ends and put above a note. This is the one Gretchen is explaining.

There is no such thing as a captioned accent, unless you mean the mark that has an asterisk and a footnote. You are confusing it with the vertical symbol, the inverted cucumber, as Miss Lawrence called it, that indicates to slide with suppleness up and down the string. What I believe Aglaia is asking about is the Expressive Accent, that is its name, which is used in Bolero. It means to give the note an emphasis that is expressive, rather than dynamic or rhythmic. Where a tenuto would mean to lengthen the note slightly and an accent mark would mean to play it more sharply, in this case the note is emphasized, but lyrically, melodically to be more expressive. This is noted at the bottom of the first page of the Bolero, where Salzedo simply says, to play more expressively. It would be slightly louder, but not sharpened in attack in any way. It is worth noting that this valuable asset was uniquely invented by Salzedo, and though it could be profitably used in all music by all composers, they don’t seem to know it now exists. I use it in my music, though it is very hard to get the computer to make it. If you look at its shape, it is derived from a tenuto mark, but it has an extra push to it, like the shape of the thumb on its side.

This is a great example of why Salzedo’s notation should be known by all harpists, and how to play it correctly, and being tested on it in school would ensure that is accomplished! Fortunately, his notations are explained mostly in the Method and Modern Study of the Harp, as well as in individual pieces.

Hannah White
    Participant

Saul,
    Yes, thanks for the clarification. You’re right, I was mixing up the two!

emma-graham
    Participant

Oh thank God for you Saul, I thought I’d being doing it (and teaching it) wrong all these years!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

This is one of those notations that you need to see someone play to be able to understand and play it, IMHO. I hope Saul, Josh or someone will post a clip on youtube. Or even post a segment on Salzedo notations. Saul, you did a great job articulating what it means. I was fortunate to have an instructor who played with Salzedo so I was able to be shown how to play the various notations. Anyhow, trying to learn Salzedo notations just by using the method book wouldn’t work for me.

Lucile Lawrence demonstrates the execution of the symbols and notation in her instructional video. Everyone should watch it.

aglaia-t
    Participant

Thank you all so much for your informative and thorough answers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.