harpcolumn

Repertoire for Funerals and Memorial Services

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Repertoire for Funerals and Memorial Services

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lisa-fenwick
    Participant

What do you consider standard must know and have ready to play with little notice

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Follow up question:What are must know hymns for funerals and memorial services?

Sylvia Clark

I’ve found that Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art work for both Catholics and Protestants.

In Paradisum from Gabriel Faure’s Requiem is now available as a pedal harp solo, intermediate level. Also Adagio from Rachmaninoff’s 2nd piano concerto, upper intermediate pedal harp. Melody’s Music in Texas carries these. A standard hymn Abide With Me can bring comfort to funeral attenders.

Angela Biggs

Regarding charging for funerals, I sing for both weddings and funerals, and I do charge less for funerals (about 25%). I make it clear on my website that this is a discount “due to the nature of the event”: I believe that music has a real purpose in the grieving process, and that everyone should have access to good music at such a time, regardless of income. It’s also because funerals are a *lot* less work. Grieving people are much less choosy than brides, and there is so little notice (usually 2-3 days) that there isn’t time for the client to flake out. If you can get into playing for funerals, it’s a great bread-and-butter gig. Good luck!

(What I specifically charge probably won’t help you much; I live in a very unmusical place, so my rates are quite low.)

Kathleen Martin
    Participant

I am looking for music intermediate pedal for How Great Thou Art and the Faure sounds nice so would like to get that music too. I haven ‘t done funerals but am thinking I should . Pie Jesu by Andrew Lloyd Webber is also nice and there is a nice simple version of it in Sylvia Woods ALW book
    Kathleen

andy-b
    Participant

Rhett Barnwell has done a beautiful arrangement of How Great Thou Art that can be played on pedal or lever harp. It comes with two versions, one in G and one in Eb. I think I got my copy from the Atlanta Harp Center, but anyone who carries his music should have it.

Cheers,

Andy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies