harpcolumn

recording my celtic harp – noisy fingers!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists recording my celtic harp – noisy fingers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

My husband and I are trying to make an “amateur” recording of my celtic harp for a family member…I just got a new harp, and unlike playing my older harp, my fingers make a “sliding” noise on the nylon strings when I play. I can’t stand that sound on the recording!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Anne,

If you’re using a mic on a stand, try aiming it in the opposite direction of your harp so that it doesn’t pick up every noise directly.

unknown-user
    Participant

Jerusha,

Thanks for your reply!

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Anne,
    this is a known problem to new Nylon strings. Surely it will go away after a while.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

Hi Anne,

My husband uses this thing a lot in his recording that he calls a “plouf” in French. No idea what it is in English, but it’s a fine-mesh screen that filters out some of the little noises that you don’t want when you’re recording, like Ps and Ss that end up sounding really explosive when people sing, and squeaking and popping on guitar strings.

If you have one of these, you might give it a try. If

tony-morosco
    Participant

I would suggest trying to use a

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks, everyone for your feedback! We tried the “plouf” (we call it a “pop filter”) idea, and that helped a little bit. I will try some moisturizer and see if that helps.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

Thanks from me and my husband for telling

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies