harpcolumn

reasonable weekly rental rate?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists reasonable weekly rental rate?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

A young harpist visiting the area has inquired about renting my L&H Style 17 for one week. I’ve never rented by the week before; anyone want to give me some guidance about what would be a reasonable amount to charge? Thank you!

Alex Flores
    Participant

Have you rented per month? If so, just divide that by four.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Hi Alex,
    Yes, I’ve rented out instruments by the month, but I wasn’t sure whether dividing that amount by four was the best way to figure it, especially since I’ll be delivering the harp to the client and picking it up a week later. When I’ve rented harps in the past for one performance, the amount I’ve paid was not 1/30th of the monthly rental rate. What do you think?

Evelyn Tournquist
    Participant

Eliza, I think most people would expect to pay the going monthly rate. I can’t imagine that it would be worth it to you to let it go for less than that especially if you are picking up and delivering. Will you be charging a delivery fee as well?

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Thank you, Evelyn! I’m not sure about the delivery fee…perhaps it would be reasonable to do so, since about three hours of driving (altogether) will be involved. You’re right, a quarter of the usual monthly rental would barely cover the gasoline! Yet I don’t want to make it so expensive that these folks are put off; I really would like to offer them the use of the harp for a week, as it would be very helpful to them. Trying for the right balance here.

shelby-m
    Participant

I think as you are negotiating the price, you should tell the people
    renting it for a week that
    it is really very cheap compared to the cost of renting a harp for a
    single performance.
    Perhaps you should call around to some local harp shops/retailers to see what they’d charge for a week’s rental + delivery/pickup?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies