harpcolumn

Ravel Piano Concerto in G major – cadenza

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Ravel Piano Concerto in G major – cadenza

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have played the Ravel Piano Concerto in G major many times, but I only just noticed a strange note in the first bar of the cadenza in the first movement, that may be a misprint. On the second beat, there is a Db in the bass clef at the upper end of the glissando. On the following measure, that note looks the same except now there is a treble clef in front of it, making it a Bb. Is it possible that the treble clef should have been inserted in front of the previous high point of the gliss, making that Db the same note and register as the Bb after it? Musically, it makes a lot more sense. Any thoughts on this?

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Elizabeth, I believe I have always played that first note as treble clef B-flat without giving it a thought.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Reh. 22 measure 1, beat 2 is the top note of the gliss a Db in Bass Clef or a high Bb in Treble clef?
    The printed score has the Db in Bass clef.

Missing or misplaced clefs are among the most common errors, and certain publishers have certain errors more frequently than others. There are many clef problems in Ravel’s parts, as I recall.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Hi Clinton,
    In answer to your question, your hunch is correct. The Durand score and part is incorrect and the treble clef belongs BEFORE the note on beat two of rehearsal 22, thereby making it identical with the high Bb on the first beat of

Thank you so much, Clinton!

I have for a while now suspected that this concerto uses clutch handbags ideas Ravel thought of for his replica watches Roger Federer Branjelina never-written Harp Concerto. Did you know that he promised Salzedo to write one for him, only that summer Salzedo did not return to France, instead founding, with Lucile Lawrence (and her monies) the harp colony in Camden, Maine. I often wonder which was more important. A fur-lined Versace handbag purse mink replica watch summer colony where perhaps thousands of students studied, or a concerto by Ravel? At this point, I would take the Ravel Concerto any day. Of course, he was at that time a not-so-well-known Swiss Watch action composer as he is now. A Ravel Concerto would sustain a lot of solo careers now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies