harpcolumn

Prokofiev 5th Symphony

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Prokofiev 5th Symphony

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have played Prokofiev’s Symphony #5 several times, and have always wondered about whether there was a mistake two bars before reh. 42. The G on the second beat is a blob-like note which could also be possibly an F#, which would sound a lot better and be more like the similar figure in two bars before reh. 41.

Excuse me; I meant the G on the fourth sixteenth note of the bar in the right hand.

Thank you, Clinton! I would imagine that, if this is indeed a mistake, it would not be noticeable to anyone but the harpist. It flies by very quickly, and the harmonies are so crunchy there that either note would work fine.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Do you ever wonder, sometimes, if these composers are watching us from Heaven (or wherever) and giggling–or are horrified–at the mistakes in the parts?

Interestingly, I have found a small number of mistakes in Prokofiev’s 5th Symphony. At reh. 61, the time signature is missing. It should be a 9/8. Three bars before reh. 63, in the bass clef, the eighth notes should be quarter notes. But they are such small mistakes that I am sure they have gone mostly unnoticed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies