harpcolumn

Programs for Senior Citizens

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Programs for Senior Citizens

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    melissa-gallant
    Participant

Last week I gave a series of programs designed for senior citizens through a presenter in another part of my home state. They were very well received and I’d like to market them closer to home. My question is what type of fee to charge? It seems like I’ll need to charge less than my normal wedding/social gig fee, but I’m not sure what would be appropriate. … Any suggestions. I would be

It really depends on where it is. Is it a community center, or a wealthy retirement community?

melissa-gallant
    Participant

First, I want to get an appropriate fee in mind, then figure what’s the lowest I’d be willing to discount it for less affluent sites.

onita-sanders
    Participant

I know it depends upon the state, comuunity, and all the variables. What I have found in the Michigan area is that the retirment villages are willing to pay between $100-$200 for the hrs work. An example would be a lucheon, a cocktail gathering,a Christmas reception, for one hr. This also depends on

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

I have found that in Wealthy Retirement Centers you can receive $100.00-200.00 for a one hour concert. Usually $200.00 if you play for a 2Hour reception.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There are usually two different entities, and sometimes three, at retirement facilities:

1. Marketing. This is where the money is. They have a budget and they will spend it on things like background music for luncheons to attract potential residents. I charge my regular fee and get it.

2. Activities. The Activities Director usually has a very small budget and can’t afford to pay much. You will be lucky to get as much as $100, and often closer to $50, depending on the facility.

3. Concert series. Only a few of the really large communities have these, but they usually pay regular market price for touring artists and reasonable fees for local ones.

The problem you need to balance out is this: If you agree to do a program for a token fee for the activities division you have set your price, and you can be sure that marketing will call you for their activities too, but they aren’t going to pay your regular rate now, since they know you can be got for less. It’s a thorny situation sometimes.

(BTW, I don’t really see what difference it makes which harp you play.)

melissa-gallant
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

robin roys

I used to work for a religious, high end Retirement Center, as their choir director. They DO have money but don’t want to spend it on their residents. Believe me…their bottom line is money and how to MAKE it.

An honorarium is nice but the BEST way is to sell CD’s. I sold 10 cd’s for $10 each and THAT made the experience slightly better.

I’ve played the harp for 35 years and I just don’t see the “return” for reducing my rates. I’ve not gotten more gigs out of it. It’s a “nice” thing to do but a lot of work and expense for little financial return.

If you are a music TEACHER, needing a free place for your students to perform, I can see doing it at the senior center. At least you get something out of it.

Guess I’m getting cynical in my old age. Why is it okay for every other venue to make money but when it comes to music, we are asked over and over, to donate????

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>They DO have money but don’t want to spend it on their residents. Believe me…their bottom line is money and how to MAKE it.

So true. I used to feel slightly guilty about the place where I played all the time for their marketing luncheons, knowing that once the prospects signed on the dotted line they’d never see me or those fancy salads in pineapples again.

Sometimes, if not often, those fees come from a budget created by the residents or levied upon them. Whether the entire budget goes to performers is another question for a resident to investigate. I once offered to do a free program for practice’s sake, and the resident in charge refused me, and could not understand why I would offer to do it for free, even though I live next door, literally!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies