harpcolumn

Pedaling for Dance of the White Lotus

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Pedaling for Dance of the White Lotus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kirsten-osborne
    Participant

Hello harpists,

I am working on the beautiful piece “Dance of the White lotus under the Silver Moon” by Stella Sung, written for flute and harp. Because it is written by a flutist there are no pedals, which has generally been fine but I am perplexed in measure 171. Has anyone done this piece? I can’t decide what should be enharmonic.

Thanks!

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Kirsten, here’s what I did–pedals as follows: D-sharp, C-natural, B-sharp, E-flat, F-natural, G-sharp, A-flat.

First beat (with appropriate accidentals according to chart), right hand C, slide thumb to B, A,G; left hand F, E, D; right hand C, B, A, G; left hand F, E, change B to flat, change G and D to flat for next measure.

I hope this is clear.

kirsten-osborne
    Participant

Rosalind,

Thanks so much for you reply. I think I understand what you did here. In the second beat where it is written “F, E#, E flat, D#”, do you just play the F string twice? At the end of the measure where it appears that the same F is played in both hands, did you just play a single F or did you do something enharmonic there? Thanks again!

Kirsten

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Hey Kirsten,

For the second beat I played just F as an eighth note, then E-flat and D-sharp as sixteenth notes. For the last beat, I played a single F (nothing additional enharmonically). Good luck with this piece. It’s really nice.

kirsten-osborne
    Participant

OK thanks so much for your help! It’s a really cool piece!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies