harpcolumn

OT: St. Patrick’s Day

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists OT: St. Patrick’s Day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

This is a bit off-topic, but I figured that some of you might enjoy IGTF’s frequent St. Patrick’s Day translations thread…things to say on the day to impress (or baffle!) your friends (or to throw some spice into your St. Patrick’s Day performances).

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Audrey, there was just the most interesting story on our Channel 4 Morning Show about the use of

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Unfortunately (and of all days!) the site is experiencing some difficulty.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Since it’s hard to know when the site will be back up, here’s a brief St. Patrick’s Day article I wrote for my CĂşpla Focal column in our local Comhaltas CeoltĂłirĂ­ Éireann newsletter a couple of years ago.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Beannachtaí na féile Pádraig ort, a Audrey!
    Bhí máirseáil in Oslo Dé Sathairn, agus chuaigh mé ansin le mo fhear chéile, mar a dhéanaimid gach bliain. Rachaidh mé go Inis Oírr an tseachtain seo chugainn le mo chairde. Táimid ag foghlaim Gaeilge ag an ollscoil in Oslo, agus íocfaidh an ollscoil as an turas. Tá mé go híontach anois!

I hope I didn’t make too many mistakes there. If I did please let me know. I’m really looking forward to going, although I won’t be able to bring my harp with me and will be without it for two whole weeks! But I’ll manage, barely.

Happy St.Patrick’s Day everyone!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Maith thĂş, a Renate!

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat. Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge ó Lúnasa anuraidh 🙂
    I hope I said that right.
    It’s hard to learn Irish when your first language is Norwegian and your textbooks are based on English speakers learning Irish. Not that there’s any point on creating an Irish grammar book in Norwegian. We’re only six people in my class.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

That would be a challenge, even though your English is also excellent.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Ah… That makes sense (…)

I have no conversational skills at all. We’ve been mostly focusing on grammar and reading until now, and suddenly our teacher expects us to be able to have conversations with the native speakers over there… It’s scary. Oh well, at least I can talk about the weather. You know the Irish, as long as it isn’t a raging storm they think the weather is fine.
    “Ă“, tá sĂ© fliuch inniu, ach nĂ­l sĂ© fuar, buĂ­ochas le Dia!”
    (Oh, it’s wet today, but it isn’t cold, thank God!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies