harpcolumn

Orchestra Repertoire

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Orchestra Repertoire

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian McVoy
    Participant

The conductor of my school’s orchestra has asked me which piece I would like us to play next year… So I wanted to know which fairly standard piece has the biggest, baddest harp part! He said that he would like something by Debussy/Ravel/Stravinsky or someone of similar style or was writing at the same time.

Thanks!
    Ian

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I assume you mean an orchestral part, not a harp concerto. Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements. Ravel: Tzigane or (easier) La Valse. Debussy: La Mer, Afternoon of a Faun. Rimsky Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol. Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra. Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet. Just a few that I found particularly fun to play! There are many others. (Tzigane is a violin concerto—maybe not too practical).

Ian McVoy
    Participant

Thanks!

A lot of great orchestra repertoire requires two harps, (i.e. Debussy: La Mer, Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Ravel: La Valse) so make sure that you only request the ones that only need one harp. You also may have to keep in mind how advanced your orchestra is. Ravel’s Mother Goose Suite has a lovely harp part. Respighi’s Fountains of Rome and Pines of Rome are fun to play. Debussy’s Petite Suite has a lovely, single harp part, and The Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun can be done easily combining the two parts. Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite has one harp part, and it is really gorgeous.

Ian McVoy
    Participant

Additional info-
    We have recently played
    Ravel: Tzigane
    Respighi: The Pines of Rome
    Debussy: La Mer

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I forgot you might not have 2 harps available. I also forgot Firebird; how could I forget that? The Stravinsky Symphony in 3 movements has a very exposed, beautifully written harp part, and also a complex and beautiful piano part. You’ll need an excellent pianist.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Though I’ve never played it, Ravel’s Le Tombeau de Couperin looks/sounds like it might be a lot of fun. By the way, you are VERY privileged: no conductor has ever asked me what I would like to see programmed!!

Some great Stravinsky parts to play: Symphony in Three Movements, Orpheus, Ebony Concerto, Firebird Suite, Petrouchka 1947. The first two would be the most exposed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies