harpcolumn

Novel research: old harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Novel research: old harp

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    wil-weten
    Participant

If you want a harp with cracks in the wood and lots of broken strings, have the harp stand before a window where the sun can shine directly on the harp. It even gets worse when there are quick and large differences in the temperature of day and night. I don’t know whether the air humidity can be very low in the proximity of the ocean, but an air humidity lower than 40% could cause cracks in the wood and the gut strings would be very much dried out and brittle if they’re not broken.

jsmoir
    Participant

Mary, just remember. Historical veracity in a fiction novel only matters to those whose job it is to know those things- which usually can be overlooked by the fans! The mystique of the Harp, and the books written about it, was one of the reasons I decided to study harp back in the day (about the 1970’s)- that, and having been in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism, in SO Cal. back then). Of course, it only took me close to fifty years to achieve that dream….lol.

In the books I read, you could have the protagonist ‘suddenly find’ an old harp, that merely needed tuning, as long as it advances the plot! Have you read Anne McAffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern? especially the book “Masterharper of Pern?”

Here’s a link to over 70 books wherein music plays a big part….
    https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13040.Music_in_Fantasy_Fiction

And, of course, there’s the quintessential children’s book about music, magic, and mystery: “A string in the Harp.”
    Best of luck!

Mary Song
    Participant

It’s a good idea to place the harp in front of the window.

I know I don’t need to get everything right, I just don’t want it to be completely wrong. 🙂 Thanks for the reading suggestions. I didn’t know any of them.

jsmoir
    Participant

Sure. Gotta love good stories.

Biagio
    Participant

Haha yeah…it is surprising how a good story may be a trifle “off” to an informed reader, even if the work is fantasy. For instance I love J.R.R. Tolkien but Thorin’s and Elrond’s “golden harps” always make me smile at the wrong place. I mean, how much would those things have weighed???

I just tell myself that Tolkien was thinking gold strings, so that’s OK, LOL.

The wire strings would likely not be broken, but many gut strings would be broken in half, or at the top, and dangling. Occasionally, one might break at the bottom and dangle from the top. Some string ends could be wound around the tuning pins on the neck. Strings near the top end are more likely to remain. The sounding board can definitely have vertical cracks, especially along the center strip. If it’s an antique harp, it could have horizontal cracks. There can also be ripples in the veneer, with cracks where it curves out the most. The neck can be twisted, with cracks at the treble end, and the column could have vertical cracks between strips of wood. There can also be a gap or total break between the bottom of the sounding board and the base. The feet can be gnarled from use. Scratches, divots, bangs, gouges can be anywhere on the harp. Only so much dust would accumulate, but there could certainly be many spider webs, and mouse dung. It might well groan in a draft. It could also fall over, all by itself, or with the slightest vibration or bump. If a string broke, that would be a loud snap followed by groans, and a wire string would make a loud snap and whine.

Jessica Hummel
    Participant

Just for an idea about a seventies harp model: Mary O’Hara played on a 31 gutand metal strung Sanderson & Taylor harp with blades.

Mary Song
    Participant

Thanks, Saul, for all the details! I really appreciate it.

Mary O’Hara was a great suggestion. Now I can find out how blades work.

Tacye
    Participant

These had been sitting unused for a while. The first was an Ian Firth I think 1970s, the second Henry Briggs from 1931.

https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/auction/lot/lot-589—two-wooden-clarsarchs/?lot=136325&so=4&st=clarsarch&sto=0&au=&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=96&pn=1&g=1

Mary Song
    Participant

Thanks for the pictures, Tacye. 🙂

balfour-knight
    Participant

Tacye,

What beautiful stands those harps are on! Thanks for the photos. It is good to see some vintage harps.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies