harpcolumn

Notating Salzedo Whistling Sounds in FInale

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Notating Salzedo Whistling Sounds in FInale

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    laurie-rasmussen
    Participant

Does anybody know how to notate the symbol for Salzedo’s “Whistling Sounds” or “Whistle Effect” in Finale? I’m editing a set of harp exercises and techniques and I’m tearing my hair out trying to come up with this one. Your help is appreciated!

Sylvia
    Participant
    laurie-rasmussen
    Participant

This is a great collection of effect symbols… but my question is, how does one create the whistle sounds symbol within the Finale music notation program?

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I was able to create a similar symbol using two shapes from existing articulation fonts and the smart shape tool. It isn’t an exact copy, but you can try it. If you like it, you can add the two shapes to your personal articulation library (which I use for pedal markings, etc.).

Bring up the articulation tool and choose “create.” Look for “Finale percussion font” and choose #190. It looks like a chime symbol; as close as I could find to the one at the bottom of the real whistling symbol. Then “create” and choose “Kohinoor Bangla” and #515. It’s a black dot. You may want 18 size as opposed to the default 24 that comes up.

Once you’ve placed these on your score, connect the (two) dots with two straight lines from the smart shapes tool and use the angle shape to indicate the direction to swipe the strings.

As I said, it’s a make-shift solution, but maybe worth a look. Since you want to do this, I’m assuming you’re pretty experienced with Finale. If any of this doesn’t make sense, contact me privately and I’ll try to explain further. Good luck!

I use Sibelius software. I wrote whistling sounds in my latest pieces that just came out on Harp Column Music. I also used the Chime symbol from the percussion fonts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies