harpcolumn

Not Only About Money

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Not Only About Money

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

In these times, when the aging population often spends its last years in assisted living or skilled nursing facilities, remember them. They were formerly in someone’s loving family circle and miss the attention and respect that they had when younger. Can you or your students bring your music there? Activities Directors really appreciate cheerful music for their residents. According to famous neurologist Oliver Sacks, one of the last areas of the brain to be affected by dementia or Alzheimers disease is the part that processes music. Harp music that is heard by declining seniors has been proven to “wake up” people who have previously been unresponsive, as long as that music was previously familiar and loved. An unselfish gift of free music can work miracles, and the giver also benefits; try it and tell us about it! Since I no longer drive, I just gave my volunteer student chamber group away to a younger former student of mine after forty years of such activity and am happy to notice it will continue.

Hannah White
    Participant

Patricia,
    I couldn’t agree with you more! Thank you for encouraging all of us to share our gifts with others.
    Actually, right before I read your post I was planning on calling my local seniors center to set up regular performance visits.
    Glad to know there are others out there thinking of doing the same.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies