harpcolumn

Need help to tune in Db!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Need help to tune in Db!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Briana McLean
    Participant

Hello I’m trying to play a song with a group that needs to play in Db (d- flat key) on my 26 string lever harp and it’s tuned in Eb (E flat) . Please tell me if it’s possible to lever there because I tried tuning there and it’s not working. What’s the easiest way to get there? Can I lever there or must I retune? I can only lever as far the attached chart I found as far as I know.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    charles-nix
    Participant

To be in Db (major mode?), in addition to the Eb, Ab, and Bb you have on those strings, you must also have a Db and a Gb available. For a very few tunes in pentatonic scales (without a 4th or 7th scale degree) you might get away with substituting the enharmonic C# and F#. But it will be mind bending for you.

The short answer, is that you must retune, unless…..

If I were in that problem, I would request the other instruments to play the tune in D major. Except for accidentals in the music, this requires nothing but assuming the key signature has two sharps instead of 5 flats. The notes are all the same, it will simply sound a half step higher. On the chance that some are playing from chord symbols, they will play the chord one-half step higher and go ahead. In the case of guitar, in Db major, they are nearly certainly playing with a capo anyway, so they capo one fret higher and go. Single note or keyboard instruments just change the key signature to two sharps and play.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by charles-nix. Reason: correct factual error
    Gregg Bailey
    Participant

Since Balfour hasn’t yet responded, I’ll give a response that I’m sure he would suggest as an alternative, and that is to tune the harp in C major and raise all the levers for the key of C# major, which gives the same aural result (as long as you’re not actually reading from sheet music in Db but are actually playing with the C strings as your tonic, whether you play by ear or transpose the sheet music).

I’m sure Balfour will chime in!

-Gregg

charles-nix
    Participant

That’s another approach, for sure. To sound decent, it would require both a good tuning, and time for the tuning to stretch in and be corrected, and require that the harp have an _excellent_ regulation job. From harps I have seen, especially the latter is not very likely. Even on a well-maintained pedal harp, keys with many sharps can be a problem. If the harp tension is not too high already, one might simply retune the whole thing a half step high–but you still have the problem of stretching in and settling in tune.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Okay, guys, here’s Balfour chiming in, ha, ha! I would suggest tuning the harp in C Flat, all seven flats. That way all flat keys and the key of C Major are possible, and to get D flat, all you would have to do is raise the F and C levers. Also, the harp would benefit from having less tension on it, rather than forcing it to go up to the C tuning. I do prefer the C tuning for my lever harp, but I do miss being able to play in flat keys on it. I have to use my pedal harp to do that, which is always a pleasure, I may add! When I used to own two lever harps, I kept the largest one in C flat. That way, I could play in ALL keys with the two lever harps. Of course, having to take two lever harps to a gig is almost as much trouble as taking ONE pedal harp, ha, ha!

Good to hear from all of you, my harp friends!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies