harpcolumn

Musical Instrument Museum

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Musical Instrument Museum

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Has anyone here been to the Musical InstrumentMuseum in Phoenix? My fiancĂ© and I went there today. It was fascinating. There were quite a few harp exhibits from the different countries! I will post some picture once my phone charges. I found it particularly interesting that in Ireland, most of the harpists were blind and would travel about performing and composing songs! Wild! How do you suppose they did this? I can’t play without looking at her strings!

Peace,
    Laura

balfour-knight
    Participant

Laura, I look forward to seeing your photos, as I have never been to that museum. I love to see pictures of antique harps!

harps

I have no idea how they did it either, but there are so many unbelievably gifted blind pianists in the world like Stevie Wonder, Diane Schuur, and Ray Charles, that I just don’t wonder about how blind people do things anymore. They seem to be able to hack out ways to do damned near anything. I don’t even know how they get up and down stairs without breaking their necks, but they manage it. The more I learn about people the more I think that most (not all, but most) of the limitations on what we’d think of as “disabled” people are created not by their disabilities but by their being embedded in a culture that just does things differently.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I enjoyed looking at the photos! Thanks, Laura.

There is also a Museum of Musical Instruments in Belgium, with more than 9000 instruments, displaying 1,100 at a time. If readers go to:

mim.be/instrument-of-the-month

they can see part of the collection without having to travel there to view many ancient ones such as a Greek lyre, a kithara, and other ancient varieties of what is played today.

Wow that website is addictive, Patricia! Thanks for posting it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies